Should human sexuality be taught in schools?

• Thread starter Thread starter justLaura
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Minerva:
I don’t think it should be taught in public schools beyond basic biology, e.g., this is how the reproductive system works, this is how pregnancy occurs. It’s a matter for the family to teach to its children beyond that. Catholic schools are a different case, but public schools should just stick to the facts and leave the ideology out.
Public school teacher here. I totally agree. It’s a parent’s place, perogative, and responsibility. The public schools have more and more thrust on them every year, with the result that ALL of it is being done more and more poorly. Don’t let this incredibly important issue be left to school systems. They won’t do a good job of inculcating the right values into it and if bascially consists of a banana/cucumber and condom practice run, it will probably encourage kids to have sex as soon as possible. I have to have the “we do not date in fourth grade” conversation with my students every year.

I guess my generation was rather deprived educationally. We never had sex education of any kind either in grade school or high school. Contraceptives were unavailable, and our high school teen pregnancy rate was zero. We just didn’t know any better.

I agree with JustLaura’s idea. That is how it was presented to me in 9th grade (1977-78). Just as straight biology and hygiene. If it wasn’t for that I might still not know where babies came from 😉

NFP and abstinence for the young ladies.

Abstinence and fiscal responsibility for the young men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back