Should I confess this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheOne33
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheOne33

Guest
I committed a grave act a year or two ago. I had just begin to question if this is a mortal sin or not. It was grave matter and I had full consent, but the fact that it could be a mortal sin never even crossed my mined. Although, I knew it was wrong. So should I confess this?
 
The fact that you question it suggests that you should confess it. One can never go wrong by confession sin, unless one is overly scrupulous.

Even if it turns out not to be a mortal sin, there is no down side to making a confession and all up side. 🙂
 
“overly scrupulous”

My conscience in a nutshell

By the way, this is not the first time I’ve had these kinds of doubts
 
Good rule of thumb is if it’s serious sin, and those are fairly easy to pick out, good to confess it. Your confessor can give you some guidelines as to how to manage scrupulosity.
 
First off let me just tell you, if you’re not sure what you committed was a mortal sin or not, then it can’t be a mortal sin because that means you did not have full knowledge. You may have known it was wrong in general but you may not have not known it was fully grave. Padre Pio says not to become to scrupulous about this. he says first, if you are not sure if you have committed a mortal sin, quickly say an act of contrition and then do not worry. but i would say, say and act of contrition and then go to confession when you can. but if you’re not sure, then it’s not mortal.
 
Scrupulosity is tricky because you can be scrupulous about whether or not you are being scrupulous. Like thinking it is a serious sin, and then worrying about worrying about whether it is serious, and finally convincing yourself that its not serious when it is serious. Seriously.
(not joking)
 
Being scrupulous myself I have often confessed that kind of sins, for me it is easier to confess then it is to keep thinking about it. But it is important for you to know that you are not obliged to confess any doubtful sin, and when confessing it be sure to mention that it is a doubtful sin.
 
If you have to ask the question “Should I confess this?” - then confess it.
Your confessor can guide you on any particulars.

Peace
James
 
Scrupulosity is tricky because you can be scrupulous about whether or not you are being scrupulous. Like thinking it is a serious sin, and then worrying about worrying about whether it is serious, and finally convincing yourself that its not serious when it is serious. Seriously.
(not joking)
if someone is scrupulous, and has suffered from scruples for a long time, then in this case, I think while they might have grave matter, their unhealthy minds and inability to reason would reduce their culpability
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top