Should I go to an unorthodox Mass?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sjmb
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh sorry Spirithound, I didn’t see your post because I was posting when it came up. My boyfriend’s family is Catholic, but attending Mass at a very unorthodox parish on Thanksgiving (Thursday). Thanks for the concern, though; if they were going to a Protestant service, I would graciously decline and ask to be dropped off at a Catholic Church instead 🙂
 
Good point. Perhaps a priest or expert liturgist (neither of which I am) could answer. My best guess is that the priest consecrates all the bread and wine which he intends to consecrate, even if it is not touching the corporal on the altar, and even (perhaps?) if by mistake it was not brought to the altar. But this situation does indeed beg the question: does the priest intend to consecrate the hosts that are brought out to the congregation?! If not, I am afraid that there’s a far more serious matter at hand!
I do know there must be intent, but as I posted, I was just wondering if the gifts needed to be on the Altar? Anyway, maybe someone will answer. Hope you figure out what to do!
 
I do know there must be intent, but as I posted, I was just wondering if the gifts needed to be on the Altar?
I would agree with what japhy said, although my meager opinion hardly adds any value to his. I seem to recall situations where large numbers of congregants are present, and containers of bread was stacked near the altar for consecration, since they wouldn’t all fit on the altar. There are presumably some limits to this - when the pope visited Yankee Stadium, for instance, preconsecrated hosts were placed about the stands for distribution after consecration. If there were no requirement for proximity, the celebrant (in this case the pope) could simply consecrate all hosts throughout the stadium.
 
No church in communion with Rome or the local Catholic bishop is a “false church”. At worst a Mass may be invalid, but whether it is invalid or illicit, doesn’t make it sinful to attend unless it jeopardizes your faith or forces you to participate in sinful activities.
 
It sounds as if a letter to the Bishop would be very fitting!

You might also want to buy your boyfriend’s parents a copy of Jimmy Akin’s “Mass Confusion”.
 
It is my understanding that the hosts that are on the corporal are the direct object of consecration and this can be extended to other hosts in the near vicinity (on the altar) if the Priest intends to consecrate them.

I would have nothing to do with this “mass” at all! You run the risk of idolatry by adoring a piece of bread if you receive or adore one of the unconsecrated hosts and with this type of abuse it is very likely that the Priest does not have the proper intention of doing what the Church does (ie. offer sacrifice) which is one of the requirements for a valid sacrament; matter, form & intent.

If I were you I wouldn’t set foot in the place.
 
Good point. Perhaps a priest or expert liturgist (neither of which I am) could answer. My best guess is that the priest consecrates all the bread and wine which he intends to consecrate, even if it is not touching the corporal on the altar, and even (perhaps?) if by mistake it was not brought to the altar. But this situation does indeed beg the question: does the priest intend to consecrate the hosts that are brought out to the congregation?! If not, I am afraid that there’s a far more serious matter at hand!
I am neither of the two, but, here is my understanding. When I’ve seen a Papal Mass (as you probably have, as well), it is next to impossible to have a thousand ciborria up on the altar with the Holy Father. If you notice, especially when he is celebrating Mass at St. Peter’s, there will be priests surrounding the high altar (at the bottom) holding ciborria. Thus, even though the thousands of hosts are not on the altar, they are still consecrated because that is the intent of the Holy Father.
 
Form and Matter. The correct form (words and procedure MUST be used) and the correct Matter( unleavened bread with no additives MUST be used) or the Host is not properly Consecrated therefore it is Invalid.

If I was in your situation I would attend with the family but would not go to Communion. Rather I would pray for a Spiritual Communion and offer prayers for the priest and family.

This is a pretty important consideration when contemplating marriage. How are you going to deal with this in the future?
 
If I was in your situation I would attend with the family but would not go to Communion. Rather I would pray for a Spiritual Communion and offer prayers for the priest and family.

This is a pretty important consideration when contemplating marriage. How are you going to deal with this in the future?
This is what I would do, and also a question I would ask.
 
Hi everybody,

I am visiting my boyfriend’s family for Thanksgiving, and his family is planning on going to Mass on Thanksgiving day. I have been to his Church before, and the parish is very unorthodox (the whole congregation blesses the Eucharist and the priest doesn’t give the homily). The people at the Church are full of love and love for Christ, and I don’t want to look down on them, but there are many liturgical abuses going on. Is it alright to attend the Mass? I feel uncomfortable there, but I don’t want to “skip Mass” when it is available and I don’t want to come across as “holier than thou”. My boyfriend’s family is very kind and full of faith, but the all the parishioners of their parish are missing out and misguided regarding the liturgy.

Thank you and God Bless
It doesn’t sound like anything they do there is valid or licit! First of all, canon law is very clear that it is the priest who offers Mass and who says the words of Consecration over the bread and wine, not the congregation. And it sounds as if the congregation is in love with their own concept of “love for Christ” rather than what is expected by the Church. If you feel uncomfortable there, don’t go. It is not a church requirement to attend a Thanksgiving Mass. You should not be forced to attend. If they are as kind and full of faith as you say they are, they will understand.
 
Hi everybody,

Thanks for the advice. I didn’t read everything before Mass this morning, so I went, and even though the prayers were tampered with, the priest did say “This is my body, which has been given up for you”. I did receive Communion, but now I’m not sure if I should have. I was very uncomfortable there. Please pray for these parishioners and their priest. I talked to my boyfriend afterwards, and said that I don’t want to go anymore.

Regarding the marriage question, it has been a question I have been asking myself for quite a while. He has been trying to learn about the Church and the Liturgy and is seeing the liturgical abuses. Kage_ar, thanks for the advice; I might buy him the book to help him on his journey! He knows (as I’ve told him) that we will not compromise on being orthodox, and has come quite far in the past year. I am doing my best to share the beauty of the Church, and attending Mass today helped me realize how difficult this must be for him because he was raised in probably one of the most unorthodox Catholic parishes in the world. I pray for him quite a bit, and his family. I thank God that he is seeing why these things are not alright, and is realizing through attending our parish back at school and other parishes that his family’s parish has gone astray in many ways.

Like I said, I will look into the book Kage_ar book recommended, but does anyone know any other good books about embracing orthodoxy and loving the Liturgy?

Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving! We are so blessed.
 
Like I said, I will look into the book Kage_ar book recommended, but does anyone know any other good books about embracing orthodoxy and loving the Liturgy?

Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving! We are so blessed.
Some of the best explanations/descriptions of the Mass I’ve read are from Thomas Howard. He has a short book called “If Your Mind Wanders at Mass.” He also has a longer book about various aspects of being Catholic that includes some great chapters on the Mass called “On Being Catholic.”
 
Some of the best explanations/descriptions of the Mass I’ve read are from Thomas Howard. He has a short book called “If Your Mind Wanders at Mass.” He also has a longer book about various aspects of being Catholic that includes some great chapters on the Mass called “On Being Catholic.”
You might also want to check into getting a copy of Praying the Mass, written by our own forum member, japhy. It is a very good book. If you come across any of japhy’s posts, he has a banner linking you to a website where you can order the book. I have it and it is a great because not only does it explain the Mass, it also serves as a tutorial to prepare us for the new translations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top