should i go to confession?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jbobby
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jbobby

Guest
I’m unsure of whether this is a mortal sin or I am just being scrupulous. I was going to my friends house and he mentions beforehand that he wants to play this video game that I thought he stole (aka ‘pirated’). I really was uncomfortable with the whole thing but didn’t speak up about it hoping he would just forget about playing if I didn’t bring it up.
But he did, and I relented, partially because I didn’t want to be a ‘party pooper’. So we played it (I find out afterwards that the game really WASN’T stolen, I had incorrectly assumed). But I feel like I sort of ‘participated’ in theft? and I was wondering if I should be withholding myself from communion and going to confession, is this a mortal sin? Thank you for reading.
 
I’m unsure of whether this is a mortal sin or I am just being scrupulous. I was going to my friends house and he mentions beforehand that he wants to play this video game that I thought he stole (aka ‘pirated’). I really was uncomfortable with the whole thing but didn’t speak up about it hoping he would just forget about playing if I didn’t bring it up.
But he did, and I relented, partially because I didn’t want to be a ‘party pooper’. So we played it (I find out afterwards that the game really WASN’T stolen, I had incorrectly assumed). But I feel like I sort of ‘participated’ in theft? and I was wondering if I should be withholding myself from communion and going to confession, is this a mortal sin? Thank you for reading.
Welcome to CAF! 👋

Whenever someone asks me if they should go to Confession, my answer is always “Of course!” 🙂 We could all use a good Confession.

Seriously, though, you should talk it over with a priest. Not knowing you personally, I can’t really comment on the state of your soul. All I can say is that, for a sin to be mortal it must meet three conditions (and it must meet all three):

  1. *]It must consist of grave matter (such as breaking one of the 10 Commandments);
    *]It must be done with full knowledge of the gravity of the act; and
    *]It must be done with complete consent (i.e. no coercion)

    I think the sin you might want to consider here is the sin of rash judgment. We should not be so quick to assume our neighbor is sinning when there is no evidence (and as you found out, you were wrong in your assumptions).

    All this said, I don’t feel qualified to tell you what state your soul is in. It never hurts to go to Confession. If you feel like you may suffer from scrupulosity, try to find a good spiritual director (preferably a priest) and talk to him about it. A spiritual director can be of a great help in this regard.

    God bless!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top