Should I go to Confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryanb27
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If one is conscious of having committed mortal sin then no time should be wasted before going to confession. Venial sin is forgiven at mass. It is a good discipline to go to confession monthly in any case. Sin needs to be fought against and rooted out.
 
People have suggested or asked you about it here before, in other threads. Let’s start with something more basic, though. Other than the label in your profile, no one seems to have asked (or I’ve missed it) - are you Catholic? Have you been properly instructed in the reception of the sacraments? Did you already make your first confession at some point?
 
How is it you never went to confession?
For that matter, did you ever have first communion?

I would contact the local parish and explain the situation to the priest and he can give you guidance. 🙂
 
I’m not really sure. My family stopped going to church around when I was confirmed. I don’t think I ever heard of people going to confession outside of the tv/movies. I was aware of it but I don’t remember if I was ever told to go.
 
Last edited:
There’s been some disconnect or failure in your formation. If you were being confirmed and/or receiving Eucharist, typically you would have been instructed about confession and gone before you received the other sacrament. Most practicing Catholics go to confession at least once or twice a year, and many of us on the forum go more often. If you think you may have committed any grave sins in your life then you definitely need to go.

I recommend making an appointment with your priest to discuss this situation.
 
Last edited:
Was your family going to church with you around 1st-2nd-3rd grade?
If so, you probably had your first confession, especially since it’s a prereq for Confirmation.
You can get in touch with your old parish to check their records, if you want to.
Otherwise, the first thing is to look at your sins and examine your conscience ahead of time, so you know what you’re going to say.
When you go into the Confessional, there’s usually two options: sitting in a chair that’s face-to-face with the priest, or kneeling behind a screen that keeps things anonymous. Use whichever you feel more comfortable with.
Once you’re in your position, the formula is:

Going to Confession​

After examining your conscience and telling God of your sorrow, go into the confessional. You may kneel at the screen or sit to talk face-to-face with the priest.
  1. Begin your confession with the sign of the cross, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. My last confession was _______ weeks (months, years) ago.”
  2. Say the sins that you remember. Start with the one(s) that is most difficult to say. (In order to make a good confession the faithful must confess all mortal sins, according to kind and number.) After confessing all the sins you remember since your last good confession, you may conclude by saying, “I am sorry for these and all the sins of my past life.”
  3. Listen to the words of the priest. He will assign you some penance. Doing the penance will diminish the temporal punishment due to sins already forgiven. When invited, express some prayer of sorrow or Act of Contrition such as:
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell. But most of all because I have offended you, my God, who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of your grace, to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life. Amen.
There’s a variety of versions of the Act of Contrition-- memorize the one that you like.

Then he absolves you, and you go on your way. You come back once or twice a year-- or you can come back every month-- or you can come back every week, depending on what’s available.

If you think it would take a long time to do a thorough confession due to how long it’s been, it might be polite to ask the parish office for an appointment, rather than attending the regularly-scheduled confession.

Good luck! 💙
 
Confession isn’t about feelings. It’s about acknowledging our sins and being forgiven for having committed them. It’s good that you went! 🙂
 
He didn’t sound happy

He also went on about something for a while that I didn’t really listen to
 
Do you understand anything about confession? It is a sacrament, and the priest is acting in the person of Jesus. Please consider learning more about the preparation for confession, listening to the priest as he speaks in the person of Jesus, doing penance, etc. As others have mentioned something is amiss here if you did not receive your first confession at the proper time, but if this is true you must now learn about it on your own. Take it very seriously.
 
Then perhaps he was very sad that he was trying to tell you something important, but knew he couldn’t get through to you, and he was taking it more seriously than you were.

So, help me out here.

7 hours ago (2 AM CST on a Wednesday), you said, “Should I go to confession?” and four hours ago, you said “I’ve never confessed” and then 1 hour ago, you said “I went.”

What time zone do you live in? 😉 It’s not coming across as Western Hemisphere. And that’s great that you can find confession on a Wednesday.

Did you do your penance?
 
I live in Chicago and went to a church with a seminary school(?) attached to it

Yeah I did my penance while walking towards my train
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top