Y
yippieskippy
Guest
I am a self-confessed seeker who has sampled/wandered protestantism for 20 years. Ten years ago I found myself gravitating toward Catholicism, but could not get over the Papal hump. You see, I was very intellectual about my faith and was quite the idealoge. I found myself in an Anglo-catholic Episcopal church for a couple years and really really loved it, but left because of the liberalism in the denomination’s leadership. I wandered some more and eventually ended up a liberal mainline protestant as my intellect continued guiding me in sampling the various schools of thought.
Now, I am desperately wanting More; to shift from left-brained to right-brained; from being overly doctrinal and theological and focus more on practice. The attraction to Christian Mysticism that drew me ten years ago remains. At this point, I don’t have any anti-Catholic hang-ups because I have undergone an “unlearning” process and have tossed my doctrinal and theological convictions aside in recent years. I kind of lost my faith and am working my way back. I am more interested in spiritual/contemplative practice and am friendly toward some Eastern (non-Christian) ideas like Mindfullness from Buddhism, for example. But, that doesn’t mean I want to be a Buddhist. I want to keep my spirituality within a Christian framework.
On some issues, I do think more like a Catholic than a protestant in relation to the importance of the Episcopate and those kinds of things. I don’t take a literal approach to many cardinal doctrines, but I accept that these things are what my religion teaches and consider them more like bumpers on my pool table. I need not stare right at them and crash right into them, but I accept them as protectors along the path, to keep me bouncing between them as I stagger along (I’m not a drunk, just your average run-of-the-mill sinner).
Should I Join The Catholic Church?
Now, I am desperately wanting More; to shift from left-brained to right-brained; from being overly doctrinal and theological and focus more on practice. The attraction to Christian Mysticism that drew me ten years ago remains. At this point, I don’t have any anti-Catholic hang-ups because I have undergone an “unlearning” process and have tossed my doctrinal and theological convictions aside in recent years. I kind of lost my faith and am working my way back. I am more interested in spiritual/contemplative practice and am friendly toward some Eastern (non-Christian) ideas like Mindfullness from Buddhism, for example. But, that doesn’t mean I want to be a Buddhist. I want to keep my spirituality within a Christian framework.
On some issues, I do think more like a Catholic than a protestant in relation to the importance of the Episcopate and those kinds of things. I don’t take a literal approach to many cardinal doctrines, but I accept that these things are what my religion teaches and consider them more like bumpers on my pool table. I need not stare right at them and crash right into them, but I accept them as protectors along the path, to keep me bouncing between them as I stagger along (I’m not a drunk, just your average run-of-the-mill sinner).
Should I Join The Catholic Church?