Should I listen to Marilyn Manson?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kmcbridehp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kmcbridehp

Guest
Sometimes I listen to Marilyn Manson, but I feel really guilty and I’m not sure if I should be listening to it or not. I don’t agree with what he stands for and what he says, but I like his music and the beats, etc. Half the time I think he is just “for show” and doesn’t believe half of what he’s saying either. What are your thoughts? Should I listen to him, only listen to songs by other artists that he sings (but don’t have an offensive message like his other songs), or just not listen to his music at all? Thank you all so much!! 😉
 
Music, Movies and Video Games are forms of entertainment. I happen to love Marilyn Manson, the Beatles, Abba, Yanni, and all kinds of music from 80s soft rock to heavy metal. I’ll listen to almost every kind of music depending on my mood. Therefore it is your choice to listen to MM if you like to/want to, just as you can watch Pulp Fiction or the Little Mermaid if you want to. Either one is not inherently bad or good.
 
I listened to his music before. I never felt the desire to repeat that mistake.

If you are feeling guilty about it there probably is a good reason. Where it may be okay for someone else, it may be bad for you.
 
A Christian should avoid exposing himself to evil. It makes an impression on your mind whether you are aware of it or not.
 
I don’t think Catholics should take a relative approach. Good and bad should be universal, at least for Christians. Marilyn Manson has performed in lewd ways and made statements that mocked Christianity. He also had an album titled Antichrist Superstar.

All music has a message. It is not neutral.

Peace,
Ed
 
You mean this guy?

youtube.com/watch?v=aqjZXO0IRiA

NONONONO Why on earth…??? …Just watch it…then look up the lyrics to the song, Antichrist Superstar…
And everybody should see this video…then see if you think he is ok to listen to…
 
edwest2;12341813. Marilyn Manson has performed in lewd ways and made statements that mocked Christianity. said:
Quite an understatement actually…
 
NONONONO Why on earth…??? …Just watch it…then look up the lyrics to the song, Antichrist Superstar…
And everybody should see this video…then see if you think he is ok to listen to…
He’s done a cover of This is Halloween but that’s about the only song from him I listen to. 😛
 
He’s done a cover of This is Halloween but that’s about the only song from him I listen to. 😛
lol a cover of this is Halloween? I must check that out. Yes, id like to emphasize i do NOT mean never listen to any song by him…im just saying dont go crazy being his fan lol. Cuz by everyday standards he is creepy. But this is Halloween is supposed to be creepy. so whatever ill check that out…
 
You mean this guy?

youtube.com/watch?v=aqjZXO0IRiA

NONONONO Why on earth…??? …Just watch it…then look up the lyrics to the song, Antichrist Superstar…
And everybody should see this video…then see if you think he is ok to listen to…
That is the most repulsive thing I ever saw or heard.
Why were they all wearing gas masks? Likely to avoid breathing in all the pot and crack smoke.
 
That is the most repulsive thing I ever saw or heard.
Why were they all wearing gas masks? Likely to avoid breathing in all the pot and crack smoke.
I know right? Its creepy…and how he tore up Bibles…he was either high, drunk, possessed, or all three at once probably…
 
I’m inclined to believe that people like Marilyn Manson are more about establishing a shocking stage persona than about encouraging actual worship of the devil.

That said, even though it is just a stage persona, it’s a downright creepy stage persona that is generally pretty offensive to Christian sensibilities (and intentionally so). Heavy metal is my musical genre of choice, but I could never listen to him without feeling somewhat spiritually slimed. It seems like you must feel similarly if you are raising the question.
 
I think the reason behind the “why” is what is important. Growing up, I was around other people trying to expose Manson who would listen to him. In my musician days, I’d listen to whatever I wanted…there is no better way to learn. The fact is that Manson is a messed up guy and really, other than Tourniquet, Beautiful People and the Dope Show why bother?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top