B
Bridget223
Guest
I’m not sure where to post this. I’m sorry if this is in the wrong discussion group.
I was discussing the process of going through adult confirmation with my priest. I had inadvertently interrupted him when he was speaking a couple times in a row. Part of it was I didn’t hear him speaking as he was facing away from me and part of it was I was so focused on my own thoughts.
He obviously lost his temper and scolded me in a manner I wouldn’t have used on a child that intentionally misbehaved let alone another adult. I found the manner rather childish. He basically said “Can I talk now? Is that alright with you? Are you sure?” He was very harsh in his tone and very negative in his manner. Needless to say, I was extremely offended by his behavior.
I didn’t say anything about it at the time. But I do remember he has done similar things in the past to other people. Frankly, I find this type of behavior disgusting. In my opinion the only reason it works is because people are too shocked to reply, too ashamed of their own behavior, or far too respectful to respond to a priest the way they would a normal person.
I don’t want a thing to do with him now. If he loses his patience with me that quickly I really would not be comfortable going to him for confession or instructions. Should I let him know why this is the case? I don’t want to but I know he’ll eventually ask? I don’t want to lie to a priest but I don’t really want to deal with a defensive, angry one either.
I would like to repeat that I’ve seen him use this tactic several times. In fact, it is not the first time he’s done it to me. Also, I’m not sure he sees a problem with it because he didn’t act contrite or shamefaced or showed any of the other behaviors people exhibit when they know they crossed a line.
Any advice?
I was discussing the process of going through adult confirmation with my priest. I had inadvertently interrupted him when he was speaking a couple times in a row. Part of it was I didn’t hear him speaking as he was facing away from me and part of it was I was so focused on my own thoughts.
He obviously lost his temper and scolded me in a manner I wouldn’t have used on a child that intentionally misbehaved let alone another adult. I found the manner rather childish. He basically said “Can I talk now? Is that alright with you? Are you sure?” He was very harsh in his tone and very negative in his manner. Needless to say, I was extremely offended by his behavior.
I didn’t say anything about it at the time. But I do remember he has done similar things in the past to other people. Frankly, I find this type of behavior disgusting. In my opinion the only reason it works is because people are too shocked to reply, too ashamed of their own behavior, or far too respectful to respond to a priest the way they would a normal person.
I don’t want a thing to do with him now. If he loses his patience with me that quickly I really would not be comfortable going to him for confession or instructions. Should I let him know why this is the case? I don’t want to but I know he’ll eventually ask? I don’t want to lie to a priest but I don’t really want to deal with a defensive, angry one either.
I would like to repeat that I’ve seen him use this tactic several times. In fact, it is not the first time he’s done it to me. Also, I’m not sure he sees a problem with it because he didn’t act contrite or shamefaced or showed any of the other behaviors people exhibit when they know they crossed a line.
Any advice?