Should I support these priests financially

  • Thread starter Thread starter Woman1987
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Woman1987

Guest
The past 6 months I have been living in an area without traditional priests and I received every week spiritual direction from priests from a institute which has many priests and laymen around the world. The way they guided me was very good and apart of the women who read from the Bible during mass their NO mass seemed orthodox, without liturgical abuse. This contradicts negative stories about their charismatic fouder who admitted to be guilty of sexual abuse an I read of other forms of abuse about this institution.
I feel like I own these great priests who were always there for me, a donation when I move back to another area, but at the same time I ask myself if God wants me to support this institute. I could give the money to the missions of FSSP instead. I do not want to sin by giving them money but i do want to express my gratitude to these priests. Could I sin by supporting this institute?
 
The past 6 months I have been living in an area without traditional priests and I received every week spiritual direction from priests from a institute which has many priests and laymen around the world. The way they guided me was very good and apart of the women who read from the Bible during mass their NO mass seemed orthodox, without liturgical abuse. This contradicts negative stories about their charismatic [founder] who admitted to be guilty of sexual abuse an I read of other forms of abuse about this institution.
I feel like I [owe] these great priests who were always there for me, a donation when I move back to another area, but at the same time I ask myself if God wants me to support this institute. I could give the money to the missions of FSSP instead. I do not want to sin by giving them money but i do want to express my gratitude to these priests. Could I sin by supporting this institute?
Would you be sinning by supporting good priests just because they belong to an institute where others within it might have sinned in the past? Hardly. That would be like the priests saying they don’t want to help you because of something your cousin might have done, even assuming that the Church witholds its graces from sinners, which it certainly does not. There is not one person in all the world who is not a sinner in need of grace, no?

Women readers during Mass is not a liturgical abuse, by the way. Become a Catholic first and sit and pray in the pews for at least a year before criticizing whether Catholics are following their bishops or not, would be my advice.
 
Would you be sinning by supporting good priests just because they belong to an institute where others within it might have sinned in the past? Hardly. That would be like the priests saying they don’t want to help you because of something your cousin might have done, even assuming that the Church witholds its graces from sinners, which it certainly does not. There is not one person in all the world who is not a sinner in need of grace, no?

Women readers during Mass is not a liturgical abuse, by the way. Become a Catholic first and sit and pray in the pews for at least a year before criticizing whether Catholics are following their bishops or not, would be my advice.
Well first of all I am a catholic.
Second of all, the members of this institute make a vow of poverty so when I give them money I actually donate for the apostelacy of their institute and I do not if I can support all of their works.
 
I am guessing which group you are talking about, but whoever it is, my advice would be the same. Find out for sure the official status of the group. If they are in full communion with Rome/the Pope and if the bishop in the area has approved their work in his diocese, then I would contribute. If there are questions about either of these things, than I would not contribute and I would not continue to go to them for spiritual direction.

The easiest way to find out would be to call the diocese office of the Vicar General.
 
Well first of all I am a catholic.
.
Ummmm…I can understand Stylites’ confusion, as you have yourself identified as a catechumen, which means that you are not (yet) a Catholic. Didn’t you mean to put that?

‘Catechumen’ means someone who hasn’t been baptised but is working towards being baptised as a Catholic and being received into the Catholic faith. A ‘candidate’ has been baptised into another Christian tradition but has yet to be received into full Communion with the Catholic church. In practice, both catechumens and candidates are frequently combined into the same RCIA class.

The only way i can remember the difference is with the word ‘cat-scratch’. In other words, a catechumen is starting from scratch with baptism.
 
The past 6 months I have been living in an area without traditional priests and I received every week spiritual direction from priests from a institute which has many priests and laymen around the world. The way they guided me was very good and apart of the women who read from the Bible during mass their NO mass seemed orthodox, without liturgical abuse. This contradicts negative stories about their charismatic fouder who admitted to be guilty of sexual abuse an I read of other forms of abuse about this institution.
I feel like I own these great priests who were always there for me, a donation when I move back to another area, but at the same time I ask myself if God wants me to support this institute. I could give the money to the missions of FSSP instead. I do not want to sin by giving them money but i do want to express my gratitude to these priests. Could I sin by supporting this institute?
There is no such as a NO (Novus Ordo) mass, you must be talking about the mass of Paul VI.👍
 
Well first of all I am a catholic.
Second of all, the members of this institute make a vow of poverty so when I give them money I actually donate for the apostelacy of their institute and I do not if I can support all of their works.
I agree with Mrs Sally. First thing to do is check on the status of this group.
 
I am an annual donor to the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross Foundation. Never been there, but I support the training of priests for Opus Dei. If you believe in what they do, provide your support. But only so long as you’re convinced they support the Magestirium and the Holy See. If not …
 
You have willingly accepted the benefit of their expenditures on land, building(s), vestments, electricity and other utilities, altar arrangements, personnel, and so forth, yes? All for the sake of your own personal journey through this life?

Why wouldn’t you donate to them?
 
When I give to the priest to help him,it,s because I do it so that the Church I love will remain open. I also give to the needey,for they need it more,so I donate to the Missionarys. ❤️
 
just because the founder did something wrong doesn’t mean that you should write off the entire community. We don’t like people to judge us badly because o fthe behavior of a few bad people. If they helped you then you should support them. and if they are being abandoned by others in your community i suspect that your support would be greatly appreciated.
:):)🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top