Should I tell Hindu parents about Jesus?

  • Thread starter Thread starter XD1993
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
X

XD1993

Guest
Ok so I come from a hindu family, and they barely know about Jesus. I mean obviously they have hear of him, but don’t know the importance like how he died or our sins etc. anyways, I’ve decided to convert to Catholicism and am in rcia currently in my college parish. My parents don’t know, and I’ll be going home this weekend, and am thinking about telling them.

Now I’ve been told that if u don’t know enough about Jesus, then God will still save you provided that you’re a good person. So my question is, should I tell my parents about Jesus as well? I mean, I know how they are, they’re super strict Hindus, and will most likely reject. So will I be doing them harm by telling them knowing that they will reject anyways, since now they’ll know about Jesus? Like if I tell them about Jesus and they reject, will they not be saved?

Thanks
 
Hi XD, welcome to the family 🙂

What does your college chaplain say about your question?
 
the church does not say that you are saved if you don’t know jesus. it says that there is a possibility that you might be saved if you sincerely tried ot find God but through no fault of your own didn’t hear about christ. if you do become cahtolic though, your mission in part is to evangelize, so you should tell them. it will not be easy for you but have courage
 
The *Catechism of the Catholic Church *seems to address this very issue in paragraph 848, emphasis mine:
“Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are igorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men.”
 
It is a command of Jesus to witness to Him, even first to our families, both in action and in word. We must do it.

Yes, it brings Judgement for those preached to, but should Jesus not have been preached in the world because He is the Judge?

Jesus said, “Anyone who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and anyone who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.” So, bring them the opportunity of Eternal Life.

God Bless!
 
If your parents are “strict” Hindus, which I would think means they are very devout in their faith beliefs, be gentle with them. Yes, you should tell them you are converting to Catholic, and answer their questions, but since they have probably practiced their own faith with great care for 30 or 40 years, it will not be easy for them to understand or accept.

I would not “hit them hard” with what you have learned of Jesus, but be gentle with them, and let your new life be a witness to them each time you visit home. Be sure to go to Mass while you are home, and let them see the joy and peace it brings you. Don’t inundate them with tracts or prayer cards at first. Give them some time to adjust and to become curious. They will eventually see the differences in you and will question you themselves. Go slowly with them, until they are ready for more. Remember, you must still show respect and honor to your parents, especially as you are now becoming a Catholic. We will all say a prayer for them to open their hearts to the truths you have found. If they are aware (and they probably are) of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, this may provide an opening for you with them, as many Hindus also revere her as a very holy person. Knowing that you are following the same faith that she practiced will make an impression on them. God bless you and help you. Keep praying daily for your parents. Prayer can overcome anything.👍
 
I know from my own mistakes that it is better to share the love of Christ rather than “preach.” If they are interested, great! Otherwise don’t worry if their reactions are less than desired. Thanks be to God you have a loving and accepting family :bounce:
 
If your parents are “strict” Hindus, which I would think means they are very devout in their faith beliefs, be gentle with them. Yes, you should tell them you are converting to Catholic, and answer their questions, but since they have probably practiced their own faith with great care for 30 or 40 years, it will not be easy for them to understand or accept.

I would not “hit them hard” with what you have learned of Jesus, but be gentle with them, and let your new life be a witness to them each time you visit home. Be sure to go to Mass while you are home, and let them see the joy and peace it brings you. Don’t inundate them with tracts or prayer cards at first. Give them some time to adjust and to become curious. They will eventually see the differences in you and will question you themselves. Go slowly with them, until they are ready for more. Remember, you must still show respect and honor to your parents, especially as you are now becoming a Catholic. We will all say a prayer for them to open their hearts to the truths you have found. If they are aware (and they probably are) of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, this may provide an opening for you with them, as many Hindus also revere her as a very holy person. Knowing that you are following the same faith that she practiced will make an impression on them. God bless you and help you. Keep praying daily for your parents. Prayer can overcome anything.👍
Wonderful Advice! Pray for your parents and let Jesus do the rest. Welcome to you also, you have been blessed. Say a prayer to Mother Teresa, she had great love for all of India.
 
I have a friend that lives in Nepal who is a follower of Jesus and claims Him as his Lord and Savior. We met a few years ago at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, DC. He still calls himself a Hindu and his parents are/were Hindu. They do/did not recognize Jesus as the Son of God but are understanding of Ramesh’s beliefs and still have a good relationship with him. His mom died this year and he was in charge of the funeral. He held a traditional Hindu funeral which his father appreciated. I am not sure about their relationship or the relationship he has with his siblings. I can ask for you or even connect you if you like.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top