Should our sacrifice that we give up for Lent include Sunday's?

  • Thread starter Thread starter theoda
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theoda

Guest
If we give up something for Lent, should we give it up on the Sundays of Lent too?
 
Not sure, but first, such a sacrifice is optional and therefore we should feel free to dispense ourselves from it when reasonable, and second, as Sunday is sort of a miniature Easter when the individual week is considered representative of the entire year, it is preferable that we do not fast on such a day, and may even be against Church teaching.

The friends of the bridegroom do not fast when they are with the bridegroom. Sunday is the day the Lord has risen. We should, methinks, not be fasting on such a day, but celebrating the glory of the eighth day.
 
This is from an EWTN blog by James Akin, whom I’ve been reading and listening to for many years now and he seems very orthodox when it comes to the teachings of the Catholic Faith and I trust EWTN not to intentionally post anything that would be contrary to the magisterium of the Catholic Church:

Please goto the following link to read the entire entry in context:
WWW.EWTN.com - ALL ABOUT LENT – James Akin
Q: Since Sundays are not counted in the forty days of Lent, does the custom of giving up something apply to them?

A: Customarily, no. However, since the giving up of something is voluntary to begin with, there is no official rule concerning this aspect of it. Nevertheless, **since Sundays are days of celebration, it is appropriate to suspend the Lenten self-denial **on them that, in a spiritual and non-excessive way, we may celebrate the day of Our Lord’s resurrection so that that day and that event may be contrasted with the rest of the days of Lent and the rest of the events of history. This heightened contrast deepens the spiritual lessons taught by the rest of Lent.
(the bold and red highlights are mine 🙂 )

The pastor that was installed when I went thru RCIA would give up desserts and tried to add more prayer to his day during lent. However, on Sundays, he would have a cookie or two with dinner but still try to keep the additional prayers. As he would explain it, eating the cookies in celebration of our Lord’s bounty and keeping the extra prayer in celebration of our Lord’s love for us… or something to that effect. 🙂
 
“Giving something up for Lent” is a personal devotion, not something mandated by the Church. You may choose to do it on Monday or not do it on Monday, do it on Tuesday or not do it on Tuesday, etc.

The only days you have to give something up is Ash Wednesday and Good Friday (days of fasting and abstinence) and the Fridays of Lent (days of abstinence), at least in the US.

Personally I choose what I’m going to do for Lent then do it everyday. But that’s just me.
 
If we give up something for Lent, should we give it up on the Sundays of Lent too?
Depends…is it sinful? Then of course, give it up for good.

But Lenten practices should be things that help you conform to God. See it less as an obligation and more as an opportunity to clear away something affecting your spiritual life or making time now to strengthen your spiritual life.

I’m not into the “gave up coffee” type stuff unless coffee was keeping you from prayer or alms giving or something.

I know I didn’t answer your question but I guess I’m encouraging you to assess why you would want to or not want to keep your Lenten promise on Sunday’s.
 
Many priests say that Sunday is a mini-Easter, so you can forgo your sacrifice on Sundays.
In my mind, it’s just easier to keep the sacrifice going daily. Especially if it’s something I really love…less temptation. :o
God bless!
 
Sundays are included in Lent. I asked our parish deacon about this a few years back because a religion teacher told the class that Sunday’s do not count. I knew this was wrong. Here is a post from a CAF apologist as well.

Here is the timeline for Lent:

Feb 27, '09, 11:50 am

Michelle Arnold
Catholic Answers Apologist
*
Join Date: May 3, 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,943
Religion: Catholic
Re: Is Holy Week still part of Lent?
The Sundays of Lent are part of Lent – which is why you hear “The First Sunday of Lent,” “The Second Sunday of Lent,” etc., at Mass on each of the Sundays of Lent. Lent ends when the Mass of the Lord’s Supper on Holy Thursday evening begins. At that time starts the Triduum of Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday. The Triduum is a liturgical season in and of itself and is the shortest of the liturgical year.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top