B
blaskoman
Guest
Upon entering a church I always make the sign of the cross after dipping into the Holy Water. However, what is the etikette required before seating oneself in Church?
Well in our abbey’s Adoration Chapel, I genuflect to the tabernacle while making a sign of the cross.Good question. I also would like to know the proper etiquette for entering a Holy place of worship like an Eucharistic adoration Chapel.
This is a good way to look at it. I was also taught to genuflect before entering the pew. It can’t hurt to show humility, reverence and humbleness to the Lord. I’m sure he will appreciate it.You can genuflect anywhere upon entering the Church. It is not specifically when you are entering the pew but when you pass by the tabernacle. In my church you have to pass by the tabernacle way before you get to your pew, so I genuflect when I pass it. I know some people who genuflect as soon as they enter the church. It really has nothing to do with entering the pew but entering into the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. For most people however, it is more comfortable, if coming from the back of the church, to genuflect when entering the pew because that is when they are closest to the tabernacle. Of course if the tabernacle is in a separate chapel all that is necessary is a profound bow to the altar
In our Eucharistic Adoration Chapel, we are to kneel (both knees) before entering the pew. Most people come in, kneel, bow the head or make a more profound bow, get up, and then sit. Of course, those who are unable to kneel can bow or do some other appropriate gesture acknowledging Christ on the altar.Good question. I also would like to know the proper etiquette for entering a Holy place of worship like an Eucharistic adoration Chapel.
Perhaps rather than a lack of respect, it’s a lack of knowledge of the proper etiquette. They have, after all, come to Adoration so a lack of respect seems unlikely.Most of the adorers do this, but it makes me sad when visitors come and don’t even seem to respect the Real Presence with no acknowledgement at all when entering/leaving their pew.
OMGosh - that’s not true is it??!!! If it is I hope she’s ok!!!My mother (age 74 at the time) was coming into the Church out of the snow and slipped as seh entered, she ended up sprawled out face down in the isle. A friend of hers entering right behind her said, “Mary, at your age a simple profound bow should suffice.”
The Peace of Christ to all,
bill
A good reminder.Perhaps rather than a lack of respect, it’s a lack of knowledge of the proper etiquette. They have, after all, come to Adoration so a lack of respect seems unlikely.
CCC2478: To avoid rash judgment, everyone should be careful to interpret insofar as possible his neighbor’s thoughts, words, and deeds in a favorable way.
It is very true, she was fine, she got up and had a good laugh about it later. I think that all the winter clothing must have padded her fall.OMGosh - that’s not true is it??!!! If it is I hope she’s ok!!!
~Liza
Could you tell us where this change can be found. My pastor went to seminary in Rome and served Mass many times for JPII and genuflects on both knees when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed. One knee when the Blessed Sacrament is in the tabernacle. I never heard of a change in this. I would be interested in seeing something in writing about the change. At my parish we all go down on both knees when the tabernacle is opened.A good reminder.
It’s also as well to remember that since the 1970’s we are no longer required to go down on both knees in front of the exposed Blessed Sacrament. I’m not saying that people shouldn’t! But it may stop someone perceiving irreverence in another person who only genuflects on one knee - they are not doing anything wrong.
To me, it makes perfect sense. The Real Presence isn’t constrained or limited by being in a Tabernacle. He transcends time and space, He is the same Lord whether in the open to our view or behind a few millimeters of gold plating. So logically, having a different posture makes no sense. We should show respect in just the same way whether there is Exposition or not - it should be single knee for both or both knees for both. As it happens, the Church has said single knee for both.
Strolling into Church and flopping down in a seat like you are in a movie theater is not acknowledging that the Savior of the World is in the tabernacle in front of you (assuming it is located behind the altar). It is totally appropriate to genuflect before sitting down, or at least bow as much as possible if physical limitations prevent you from genuflecting.
A bit of charity, please, before assuming motives or lack of reverence on the part of others. Some of us weren’t born with the knowledge that Christ is in the tabernacle, or even what a tabernacle is. The church also doesn’t come with visitor instructions or a user’s manual.Christ is there - acknowledge His presences before you make yourself comfortable.
A good point, Gwen, and a reminder to us that are Catholic (and aware of the Real Presence) to be not only respectful of Jesus, but good examples to others.A bit of charity, please, before assuming motives or lack of reverence on the part of others. Some of us weren’t born with the knowledge that Christ is in the tabernacle, or even what a tabernacle is. The church also doesn’t come with visitor instructions or a user’s manual.
The first few times at Sunday Mass, I tried to follow what other people were doing and it was very confusing. Some genuflected, some bowed, some nodded, some flopped into their seats, and some visited from pew to pew chatting happily. I went to daily mass and asked the regulars there what to do and why we do it. Sadly, it’s not something that’s taught at our RCIA.