T
TN_Catholic
Guest
Hey, haven’t been on for a while, but to people who have seen my previous threads, I’ve been in and out of struggles with the faith. During this Lenten season, I’ve been reflecting on furthering my involvement in the Church. I had some questions about registering with a parish.
I am an unmarried college student who lives on her own during school and goes home for breaks (mostly the month of December, then May-August). I go to the church next to my apartment (literally walking distance). It is the only Catholic church in town. They have many activities and two priests who, from what I can tell, teach solid doctrine. However, the head priest holds LGBTQ Vespers, and I have confirmed he holds views that are directly in opposition to the Church’s official teachings.
I really love the Latin Mass, and I have found that in general, the presence of regular Latin Mass in a parish is a good barometer so to speak for the members’ and priests’ orthodoxy (until you get to the extreme of sedevaticanists, I’m aware of them and there are none in my area that I know of). There is a church in my home town such as this, but I do not have access to it while I am at school. There is also a church in a town about an hour’s drive from me that offers Latin Mass several times a week. I have been there, and while the priest was criticized for making a technical error (I believe the complaint was that there was too much singing in a Mass he had labeled as a Low Mass, and he addressed it during his homily), his homilies demonstrate orthodox values that he is not afraid to impress upon his congregation. The church doesn’t have many activities or groups with the exception of a Legion of Mary meeting I may be able to attend most Saturdays after a Latin Mass.
Is it an appropriate time to register for a parish, and how do I choose? I plan to go back home after graduation, but that is over a year away, and things could change. I have a car to get to the Latin Mass church during school, but the distance would limit my involvement, and there aren’t many activities/groups there in the first place. The last church is very close and easy to become involved in, but I fear the content of teaching and influence of what seems to be a largely lukewarm congregation headed by a priest professing false doctrine.
I am an unmarried college student who lives on her own during school and goes home for breaks (mostly the month of December, then May-August). I go to the church next to my apartment (literally walking distance). It is the only Catholic church in town. They have many activities and two priests who, from what I can tell, teach solid doctrine. However, the head priest holds LGBTQ Vespers, and I have confirmed he holds views that are directly in opposition to the Church’s official teachings.
I really love the Latin Mass, and I have found that in general, the presence of regular Latin Mass in a parish is a good barometer so to speak for the members’ and priests’ orthodoxy (until you get to the extreme of sedevaticanists, I’m aware of them and there are none in my area that I know of). There is a church in my home town such as this, but I do not have access to it while I am at school. There is also a church in a town about an hour’s drive from me that offers Latin Mass several times a week. I have been there, and while the priest was criticized for making a technical error (I believe the complaint was that there was too much singing in a Mass he had labeled as a Low Mass, and he addressed it during his homily), his homilies demonstrate orthodox values that he is not afraid to impress upon his congregation. The church doesn’t have many activities or groups with the exception of a Legion of Mary meeting I may be able to attend most Saturdays after a Latin Mass.
Is it an appropriate time to register for a parish, and how do I choose? I plan to go back home after graduation, but that is over a year away, and things could change. I have a car to get to the Latin Mass church during school, but the distance would limit my involvement, and there aren’t many activities/groups there in the first place. The last church is very close and easy to become involved in, but I fear the content of teaching and influence of what seems to be a largely lukewarm congregation headed by a priest professing false doctrine.