Silence for adoration

• Thread starter Thread starter Peter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter

Activities like cleaning, rehearsals, decorations carried out in churches (with the Blessed Sacrament in the tabernacle) do disturb people praying.

ECCLESIA DE EUCHARISTIA, CCC 1379 and the Apostolic Letter, Spiritus Et Sponsa state the importance of silent adoration. But I am still looking for documents that relate directly to the forbidding of cleaning etc while the Blessed Sacrament is in the church. I think the Blessed Sacrament should be moved to another place before such activities are conducted.

Any leads to documents refering directly to the above will be appreciated. Tks.

You won’t find any because removing the Blessed Sacrament from the tabernacle before cleaning the sanctuary is not necessary. However if the Blessed Sacrament is exposed for adoration He must be returned to the tabernacle before any thing else takes place in that area of the church.

Br. Rich SFO:
You won’t find any because removing the Blessed Sacrament from the tabernacle before cleaning the sanctuary is not necessary. However if the Blessed Sacrament is exposed for adoration He must be returned to the tabernacle before any thing else takes place in that area of the church.
But the documents i mentioned above seems to suggest that there should be silence at the Blessed Sacrament. I guess if you have these activities, it will be distracting for anyone making a spiritual communion with our Lord - one of the two reasons why the Blessed Sacrament is there.

Probably there’s an apostolic letter or message on this subject. Still searching… Anyone knows??

All of the documents I know of that address silence during Eucharistic Adoration are talking about Adoration with the Blessed Sacrament exposed outside the tabernacle.

peter-

If noone’s praying in the Chapel and you vacuum, does it still make a sound?

I just think that if someone’s praying in the Chapel, then certainly all those things should wait. But if noone’s there, I really don’t see the problem. I mean, if you have to clean, and you can either do it with Jesus there with you or with him in the vestry until you’re done, why wouldn’t you want to clean with Jesus?

jp2fan

I think Holy Silence should hold whether the Sacrament is exposed or not. But what does this have to do with cleaning?

How would the church be cleaned or rehearsals take place? My parish is attempting to have 24-hour adoration, and at this point the Eucharist is not exposed, so we pray in front of the Tabernacle. If the parish is successful in having the 24 hours covered, I don’t see any way that the church can maintain silence every single hour of the day. Maintenance must go on. Rehearsals and other activities must go on.

I am thankful that my hour is at a time when very little goes on – except for the occasional bridal party arriving early.

'thann

40.png
thann:
How would the church be cleaned or rehearsals take place? …I don’t see any way that the church can maintain silence every single hour of the day. Maintenance must go on. Rehearsals and other activities must go on.
Sweep or use manual vacuums that don’t make much noise.

Rehearse elsewhere or repose the sacrament beforehand.

Does your church have a chapel?

Cleaning isn’t so big a deal, but rehearsals are another matter. It can all be done when there is no one in the church, that’s for sure. Once, there was a big rehearsal during Adoration hours and it was VERY disturbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back