L
Lil_M
Guest
How come there’s no First Sunday in Ordinary Time? I noticed next Sunday is the 2nd one. :ehh:
Someone can correct me since I’m doing this without looking. The First Sunday of Ordinary Time would be the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, it is called by it’s Feast name, not just a Sunday in OT. This happens in the U.S. sometimes because many feast days are moved to Sunday instead of actually landing on the specific date where they belong in the universal calendar. I’m not sure if this is the case today however.How come there’s no First Sunday in Ordinary Time? I noticed next Sunday is the 2nd one. :ehh:
I believe there is no First Sunday of Easter in the OF either. In the EF, it would be the First Sunday AFTER Easter.Someone can correct me since I’m doing this without looking. The First Sunday of Ordinary Time would be the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, it is called by it’s Feast name, not just a Sunday in OT. This happens in the U.S. sometimes because many feast days are moved to Sunday instead of actually landing on the specific date where they belong in the universal calendar. I’m not sure if this is the case today however.
The Feast of the Baptism of the Lord is in the Christmas Octave.Someone can correct me since I’m doing this without looking. The First Sunday of Ordinary Time would be the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, it is called by it’s Feast name, not just a Sunday in OT. This happens in the U.S. sometimes because many feast days are moved to Sunday instead of actually landing on the specific date where they belong in the universal calendar. I’m not sure if this is the case today however.
You are right. Christmas and Easter each have an Octave (of eight days, as the term implies) and each has a greater season that continues thereafter. Our two great feasts cannot be properly celebrated in just one day, I guess. Both get an octave.1ke,
I’m sorry, but the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord does not occur within the Christmas octave.
The word “octave” means “eight,” and where the calendar is concerned, it refers to a period of eight days.
The Church celebrates only two octaves: Christmas and Easter. The Christmas octave begins on December 25th, and ends on January 1st, the Feast of the Circumcision of Christ (which has become the Feast of Mary, the Mother of God in some countries).
As a side note, the Season of Christmas spans twelve days. It begins on December 25th, and it ends on January 6th, the Feast of Epiphany.
It is difficult to keep track of holy days in the United States, but as far as I know, the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord can never occur during the Christmas season (and certainly never within the Christmas octave).
May the Lord bless you!
Michelle
I’m in Canada but I’m sure it’s the same here. Now I get itSomeone can correct me since I’m doing this without looking. The First Sunday of Ordinary Time would be the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, it is called by it’s Feast name, not just a Sunday in OT. This happens in the U.S. sometimes because many feast days are moved to Sunday instead of actually landing on the specific date where they belong in the universal calendar. I’m not sure if this is the case today however.
That was my thinking but didn’t have anything to look at with me.The Baptism of the Lord is the 1st Sunday in Ordinary Times.
In my Daily Roman Missal it clearly states:
Sunday after January 6
Baptism of the Lord
First Sunday in Ordinary Times.
It is within the SEASON of Christmas, but not within the OCTAVE of Christmas.The Feast of the Baptism of the Lord is in the Christmas Octave.
Ordinary Time begins on Monday.
That is my sense, too, although the USCCB calendar puts Jan. 10 in the Christmas season. For the purpose of the Liturgy of the Hours, ordinary time starts on Jan. 11 this year. Our pastor has the Christmas decorations left up until the Masses were over on the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord.We tend to think that the feast of the Baptism of the Lord must be either exclusively in the Christmas season or exclusively in ordinary time.
But that’s our modern thinking.
The feast of the Baptism of the Lord “marks” the end of the Christmas season and the beginning of Ordinary Time. To the best of my knowledge, the Church does not feel the need to place the feast in either this season or that. In many ways it belongs to both.
I think it’s partly because calendars tend to be rather exclusive.That is my sense, too, although the USCCB calendar puts Jan. 10 in the Christmas season. For the purpose of the Liturgy of the Hours, ordinary time starts on Jan. 11 this year. Our pastor has the Christmas decorations left up until the Masses were over on the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord.
Yes, I misspoke (mis-wrote?). I was thinking season and wrote “octave” which of course it is not.It is within the SEASON of Christmas, but not within the OCTAVE of Christmas.
That is right, the calendar has been changed.I think it’s partly because calendars tend to be rather exclusive.The bishops had to put it somewhere.
I mean what would you do for days that belonged to multiple seasons? Would they be light green rather than green or white? Can you imagine what purple would look like if mixed with green?
I know that the USCCB has January 10 as part of the Christmas season. But I know that was not the case for the Baptism of the Lord under the old calendar.
I’m so glad to be in an Eastern Catholic Church where we don’t move any feast days to Sundays! All we have to worry about is whether we’re on the Julian calendar, the Gregorian calendar, or the Revised Julian calendar.I also have a copy of the Daily Roman Missal, and it contains special readings for the weekdays between Epiphany and the Baptism of the Lord. The instructions state:
In places where the Epiphany is celebrated on the Sunday between January 2 and 8, the Readings [sic.] given below for each day of the week are used between the Solemnity of the Epiphany and the following Sunday (Baptism of the Lord).
In places where the Epiphany is celebrated on January 6, the readings for each day of the month (January 7-12) are given below between brackets ]. After the Baptism of the Lord (Sunday after Epiphany) the Ordinary Time begins and from that day the readings given below for January 7-12 are omitted.