Simbang Gabi & Christmas

• Thread starter Thread starter Yirmeyahu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yirmeyahu

Hi. Who here is from the Philippines? I would just like to ask if any of you guys have had spiritual experiences or enlightenment during the course Simbang gabi or evening masses. Or perhaps spiritual enlightenment during the Christmas season.

As for me, I miss simbang gabi in the Philippines.

i was born in the philippines, but have lived here since i was 2.

i have only been to one simbang gabi, and did not have any particular spiritual experience at the mass.

monina

40.png
Yirmeyahu:
Hi. Who here is from the Philippines? I would just like to ask if any of you guys have had spiritual experiences or enlightenment during the course Simbang gabi or evening masses. Or perhaps spiritual enlightenment during the Christmas season.

As for me, I miss simbang gabi in the Philippines.
It was more of a tradition, or a cultural-thing for me. Nothing in particular of note. However, I do realize that it was a sacrifice to attend one. We do have ‘simbang gabi’ here in Texas. My family and I attended our first one last year and we’ll do it again this year.

That’s cool. We have simbang gabi here in Chicago but it’s spread out… Like Monday, this church; Tuesday, that church; Wednesday, another church…

40.png
Yirmeyahu:
That’s cool. We have simbang gabi here in Chicago but it’s spread out… Like Monday, this church; Tuesday, that church; Wednesday, another church…
Please help I have never heard of “simbang gabi” what am I missing?

To all Filipinos out there, please correct me if I am wrong.

Simbang gabi is a Filipino phrase meaning “Night/Evening Mass”. “Simba” for Mass and “Gabi” for evening.

If I am correct or remember right, it is a tradition in the Philippines where we go to mass at 3 or 4am in the morning. These Masses are done for nine days before Christmas day.

Can someone help me out here? It’s been so long that I hardly remember. I do remember however, that the parish in my hometown offers it at 4am and at 7pm. It starts Dec. 16 all the way until Dec. 24.

We attended one hosted at our parish two years ago. It was beautiful, and noteworthy because it is a joyous celebration in Advent. I understand that the Filipinos have an indult just so they celebrate Simbang Gabi according to their traditions.

40.png
Yirmeyahu:
That’s how it is done over here as well.

Robin L. in TX:
We attended one hosted at our parish two years ago. It was beautiful, and noteworthy because it is a joyous celebration in Advent. I understand that the Filipinos have an indult just so they celebrate Simbang Gabi according to their traditions.
That is what I have been told as well. This is in condition that you attend all the masses, I think.

40.png
Mandi:
Sounds like a beautiful, beautiful tradition!:love:
It is. Sometimes after mass there are people selling rice cakes just outside the church and those rice cakes have become part of the tradition.

But keeping the Mass in mind… it is a good preparation before Christmas aside from the Sundays of Advent.

It is something like a novena, 9 days before Christmas day itself. And it is a good time to reflect and prepare for Christmas. People also do it as an offering of sacrifice (waking up at 3AM so you get to be inside the church). When I was back in the Phililppines, I found it a very nice experience. Here in Chicago, all 9 can’t be don ein one church and has to be done in the evening.

Correct me if i’m wrong,but Some people say the Simbang Gabi is very much like a novena to our lady and/or the infant jesus, according to other people. some say that if you completed all 9 masses, you would be granted a wish. of course, that’s what others say, i don’t know if it’s true or not. usually masses at dawn start on the 16th, but some i’ve attended starts at the 17th. hope i helped for some information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back