M
Mikaele
Guest
Some help please…
Hi. We could use a little more information, but I think I get the gist.Some help please…
These articles address the issue:Some help please…
a link for your research on the matter…Some help please…
I am NOT doubting the historicity of Jesus. However, I would just like to point out that research by the great social psychologist, Leon Festinger, best known for his theories of cognitive dissonance and social comparison (and with whom I studied), did a study on the topic of “When Prophecy Fails” and found that when people believe in something and invest a lot of time and energy in it, they are very resistant to changing their beliefs because that would mean they wasted their time. So it’s not really against human nature to go to one’s death for something that may be a hoax. One engages in self-persuasion that it cannot be a hoax in order to convince oneself that the investment in such a belief was not in vain.Hi. We could use a little more information, but I think I get the gist.
The key here is the historicity of Christ. Scripture is not just a set of nice platitudes. It contains solid connections to not only history but human nature, as documented by many people who followed a real man named Jesus.
The figures in the three faiths you note have no such historical foundations beyond the humans who have mentioned them. None. Yet, Scripture tells us of Pontius Pilate–a real man. Early Church Fathers tell of people they personally spoke to that saw and spoke to Christ and saw the signs and wonders personally–including the men who followed Christ most closely, the Apostles.
And you have many, many people who have gone to their deaths, holding to this belief under threat of death unless they recanted.
Why would people who knew their faith was a hoax go to their deaths for what they know is a lie? It’s wholly against human nature.
While many of the figures in faith and myth you noted were older than Christianity, none of them have eyewitnesses. No one can confirm the existence of these figures beyond the stories of the figures. None of them can connect themselves to history.
Hopefully others can add more meat to this for you.
I don’t think there are any.Some help please…
However, I think that you’ll agree that it would be highily unusual for those who started it to go to their deaths in order to keep propagating the story.I am NOT doubting the historicity of Jesus.
it’s not really against human nature to go to one’s death for something that may be a hoax. One engages in self-persuasion that it cannot be a hoax in order to convince oneself that the investment in such a belief was not in vain.