Simple scapular questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter newcalling
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newcalling

Guest
Nothing groundbreaking to these questions, just practical questions.

Are most scapulars machine washable? With my arthritis it is difficult to wash things by hand, but I will if necessary.

If you wash a scapular a lot do you need to get it blessed again? I live in a particularly hot part of California. Since a scapular is worn under the clothes, it will need frequent washing.

Is it normal to have just one of the kind of scapular one wears, or should one have a few of each (I only plan on wearing one kind) like with other articles of clothing? I am thinking of either the brown scapular or the scapular of St. Michael.

It is something which I am carefully contemplating, so I don’t know when I will start wearing one.

Do you wear it every day, or just for mass and special occasions?

I often wear light, thin shirts, would it be wrong to wear the scapular when it might be noticed through clothing? I know that it was originally a garment of practicality, but has become a devotional item and is not supposed to be displayed openly.

I don’t generally wear tank tops nor any immodest clothing, but if I do should I take the scapular off and put it away? I imagine that if I am shirtless (usually only when I have privacy) I wouldn’t wear it, as it would be contrary to the point of being shirtless (absorbing sunlight for health reasons. )

Anything else you want to say about scapulars, or a testimony about your scapular wearing that you wish to share?
 
I wear my scapular all the time, even to sleep.

I never wash it. Don’t have to, it has a plastic cover over it and a chain instead of a cord.

Jim
 
I had an old one in a pocket in my trousers (chord was broken so couldn’t wear it), whilst I waited to get a new one which I did. I had forgotten all about it, the trousers had gone through the wash but the scapular hadn’t shredded or anything.

I don’t suggest sticking it in the wash just in case but if you do maybe you can wrap it in a sock so the sock takes the beating from the machine.
 
Are most scapulars machine washable?
I will wash mine about once every week or two. I usually just use regular shower water, no soap, and let it hang dry. Seems to work fine.
If you wash a scapular a lot do you need to get it blessed again?
No, it shouldn’t be necessary to get it blessed again after washing.
Is it normal to have just one of the kind of scapular one wears, or should one have a few of each (I only plan on wearing one kind) like with other articles of clothing?
I have 2 - One for wearing during the day, and a second, older more worn scapular that I can wear at night. Mine tend to last a long time, and I keep a couple spare ones as back-ups if needed.
Do you wear it every day, or just for mass and special occasions?
Usually every day.
I often wear light, thin shirts, would it be wrong to wear the scapular when it might be noticed through clothing?
Not, not wrong. You might get some comments, or questions though. I believe there are even white scapulars you can purchase that might be less noticeable with a lighter colored shirt.
I don’t generally wear tank tops nor any immodest clothing, but if I do should I take the scapular off and put it away?
The goal is to wear it all the time, if possible.
Anything else you want to say about scapulars, or a testimony about your scapular wearing that you wish to share?
It’s the assurance from Mary that she will intercede for those wearing the scapular when they die. Key is to wear it all the time. You can never be too safe.

We know neither the day nor the hour.
 
Hi newcalling,

Once you have a particular scapular blessed, it’s blessed, and you don’t have to have it blessed again.

You can wear whatever kind of scapular you want.

I actually wear mine until they literally wear out and start to fall apart in some way. Once that happens, then I get a new one and wear that one until the same thing happens. With mine, usually what happens is that the cord starts to wear out and break, and that is when I will get a new one and start to wear it.

I don’t take mine off except to bathe or shower.

I gently hand wash mine and clean it off if I accidentally spill something on it, too.
 
Thank you everyone. Feel free to keep responding and sharing about the scapular. I think that I will start wearing one after my confirmation on the 24th. I sweat a lot, so in California heat I will probably have to wash mine at least a couple times per week. I think that I will wear the Saint Michael scapular because both Saint Michael the Archangel and the Holy Virgin Mother were key to my decision to join the church. I’m going to do a bit more research before I decide for sure which one I will wear.
 
I thought scapulars could be worn inside or outside garments. Are they really only supposed to be worn under the shirt?
 
Thank you everyone. Feel free to keep responding and sharing about the scapular. I think that I will start wearing one after my confirmation on the 24th. I sweat a lot, so in California heat I will probably have to wash mine at least a couple times per week. I think that I will wear the Saint Michael scapular because both Saint Michael the Archangel and the Holy Virgin Mother were key to my decision to join the church. I’m going to do a bit more research before I decide for sure which one I will wear.
I know what you mean about Scapulars and hot weather,
I have two that I swap over on Saturday nights, (fresh one for Sunday),
I rinse the one I was wearing and hang it to dry and air out for the week,
then I swap it over and do the same with the other one.
I also have one encased in plastic for when I go swimming.
:tiphat:
 
I thought scapulars could be worn inside or outside garments. Are they really only supposed to be worn under the shirt?
A good question. It’s my understanding that the origin of the scapular was to wear under liturgical garments in order to keep sweat off of them. They have since become a devotional item. From their original purpose, and based on a few threads I have seen here, I figured that they were to be worn under the clothing. I may be mistaken.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top