Sin of Sacrilege

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maathw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maathw

Guest
Hello There!
I am 14 years old and I am guilty that I take hosts after mass when I was younger. But let me explain first. I was pretty religious. But when I was 12 years old and I am about in the fifth grade I take particles from consecrated hosts from the church to put in our family altar. Btw my parents don’t know this because I put it in a box that acts like a tabernacle. Some of these particles from the hosts were lost and I replace them.

Back in the day I didn’t know that my actions are very grave. I did not even know that it can cause me excommunication because I was just a kid!

When I read an article about sacrilege and all of it’s consequences, I immediately repented of my sins. I placed the particles in a glass of water and I dissolved them. Then the next day I reverently watered the water to the plants.

I went to confession and I simply said I committed the sin of sacrilege. The priest absolved me and gave me my penance. But I still fill guilty what do I do?
 
Hello There!
I am 14 years old and I am guilty that I take hosts after mass when I was younger. But let me explain first. I was pretty religious. But when I was 12 years old and I am about in the fifth grade I take particles from consecrated hosts from the church to put in our family altar. Btw my parents don’t know this because I put it in a box that acts like a tabernacle. Some of these particles from the hosts were lost and I replace them.

Back in the day I didn’t know that my actions are very grave. I did not even know that it can cause me excommunication because I was just a kid!

When I read an article about sacrilege and all of it’s consequences, I immediately repented of my sins. I placed the particles in a glass of water and I dissolved them. Then the next day I reverently watered the water to the plants.

I went to confession and I simply said I committed the sin of sacrilege. The priest absolved me and gave me my penance. But I still fill guilty what do I do?
Nothing. All you can do is be assured of forgiveness and move on with your life. You cannot make yourself “unfeel” the guilt. All we know now is that since your sin is remitted, then the guilty feeling is a lie. Lies are to be ignored and rejected.
 
but was my confession correct? I only said sacrilege but not explaining the whole story to the priest.
 
but was my confession correct? I only said sacrilege but not explaining the whole story to the priest.
I refuse to answer that question. If you need clarification, bring it up at your next confession. But I also refuse to tell you to rush to confession just for this. Feel free to ask the priest at your next regular or necessary confession.

What you should do now is receive Communion.

Further, a lot of your anguish is based on misunderstanding, a clear example of how a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
  1. You were 12. You are currently 14. No one incurs a penalty unless he has turned 16. That alone throws “excommunication” right out the window.
  2. Sacrilege does not get you excommunicated. Throwing away the host does.
  3. You only committed sacrilege objectively, and merely by bringing home consecrated hosts. However, it sounds like you didn’t know at the time, and when you did know, you did the right thing by dissolving the Hosts and pouring the water into the ground. The “full knowledge” requirement was obviously missing, and therefore likely does not rise to mortal sin, as grievous as this is objectively. And besides, misguided as it was, your intent was devout. It’s not like you wanted to bring home the Eucharist for a satanic ritual. You were ignorant, and in Church-speak, that is not a sin.
  4. You cannot incur a penalty when you didn’t know a penalty was attached.
You cannot keep yourself in knots over this. Just ask your confessor at your next regular confession.
 
Last edited:
Hmm, you already reverently disposed of the hosts, you confessed your sin to the priest and he absolved you.

If the priest had wanted to know the whole long story, he would have asked you for more details. He didn’t ask so I presume he didn’t need or want to know.

“Go and sin no more”. In other words, don’t do it again.

That’s all you need to do.

If you want to do something extra, go to Adoration, sit with Our Lord for an hour, pray and keep him company.
He understands you didn’t mean to do anything bad and that you were just a kid.
He would enjoy spending time with you at Adoration, which is the proper place to spand time with Jesus in the Eucharist.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top