Sin Severity Ratings

• Thread starter Thread starter AlanFromWichita
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
memberofthebody:
There is no gradation of sin. One sin is as serious to God as any other.
That is not what the scriptures testify to. The Apostle John explicitly says that there are sins that are deadly and sins that are not deadly (1John 5:16-17). Nor does the Old Testament judge all sins the same. For some sins in the OT, the punishment was death, and for lesser sins there was a punishment not unto death. This is a OT type that points to the antitype of the NT.

Both the OT and the NT refute your assertion that each sin is seen by God with equal seriousness. It is incredible to say that God sees jaywalking as being as serious as raping a child. If this is true, then our sense of criminal justice is totally flawed, and either all criminal acts should be punished the way we punish jay walking or every crime merits the death penalty. The one thing that is not possible is that humans have a more balanced sense of justice than God.

40.png
Matt16_18:
The Catechism is accessible on the Internet, as are online Bibles. scborromeo.org/ccc.htm ]Catechism of the Catholic Church
nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/]The New American Bible
These links didn’t work for me, would you try them? Maybe it’s my puter ? I’ve been looking for the CCC on line, would love to access it.

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
Is anybody else uncomfortable with telling two people, “your sin is worse than his?”
You’re not supposed to judge other people, you’re supposed to examine your own conscience.
When it comes to sin, however, why do we have a degrees of sin? When it comes to sins, why do we presume that some sins are worse than others?
Why is it that killing is worse to slaughter innocents than it is to swear when you hit your thumb with a hammer? Oh, I don’t know. Let’s think about it for about half a millisecond. Why did Jesus say that one who corrupts the little ones would be better off to tie a millstone around his neck and drown himself. Why does scripture say that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is worse than all other sins?

40.png
memberofthebody:
When Christ died on that cross over two thousand years ago,
This is a little off topic, just for accuracy, this is an mistake that many protestants seem to make. The year 1 is the year designated as the date of Christs’ birth, that may be off by a few years. So, actually, it’s been nominally only 1971 years since Christ died. He was borne 2004 (plus or minus) years ago, and lived 33 years. so we have about 29 years to go until we can say that Christ died 2000 years ago. Just a point

Thanks for the ref for the CCC and the Bible,

Now looking at the CCC starting around 1854 you will see the description of sin, severity, etc. Now if you regard that old bugaboo of “free will”, mortal sin is our “free will” to reject God. That is what separates us, and we need to go to confession to be “reunited”. As it relates to Jesus died to forgive sins…that is correct. Without that sacrifice, no sin could be forgiven…However we have to ACCEPT that salvation. One of the ways we accept it is to TRY to sin no more. It is the mercy of Jesus that recognizes we fail, repent, fail repent…

Since Protestants don’t recognize confession, how could they accept levels of sin? That goes back to “once saved always saved” and that is for another thread.

This is a very good thread that I am enjoying.

Bless you all

40.png
RBushlow:
Why is it that killing is worse to slaughter innocents than it is to swear when you hit your thumb with a hammer? Oh, I don’t know. Let’s think about it for about half a millisecond. Why did Jesus say that one who corrupts the little ones would be better off to tie a millstone around his neck and drown himself. Why does scripture say that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is worse than all other sins?
Dear RBushlow,

You pick an interesting example, given the scriptures you refer to. Between “killing is worse to slaughter innocents” and swearing when you hit your thumb with the hammer, the one most likely to corrupt little ones would be the one with the hammer. That is assuming, of course, that “killing is worse to slaughter innocents” is done out of the range of little witnesses and hitting the thumb with the hammer is an instinctive reaction that could happen anywhere and very likely in front of children. After all, it is in these situations that one reveals his true colors, as “the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile.” (Matt 15:18) I believe Jesus is teaching that we need to cleanse our hearts, then when in the heat of the moment we reveal what is in our hearts, we don’t run the risk of teaching filth to little ones.

Perhaps that is a strange concept to a carnal mind but we are called to be transformed, and we are taught that God’s ways are not our ways, and our ways are not God’s ways. Before we are transformed, our cultural training often causes us to react, as you say, in sub-millisecond time, in a rush to judgment that may not coincide with what God would say.

Back to your example, the hypothetical example Jesus presents in Matt 5:21-22 is very similar. The only difference I see is that His example has the anger directed toward another person rather than toward “the situation” (such as the hammer itself). Let’s see what He said, "You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills will be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, … "

Hmmm. Let’s spend just a little more than a millisecond on this, since we are human and not God. It is clear that Jesus is saying this as a new concept to those who obviously thought as you do. In Old Testament thinking, killing was a sin. Here Jesus implies that harboring anger is a similar sin in the eyes of God.

Yes, I did note your sarcastic tone but no, you did not succeed in making me feel silly for asking the question. I am more interested in the deeper aspect of spirituality than what appears to be right on the surface, and I have become accustomed to people who haven’t looked at the deeper meaning being sarcastic. If your intent in taking such a tone was to call me a fool, please let me lovingly caution you about what Jesus says further in the same verse (Matt 5:22) “…and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ will be liable to fiery Gehenna.”

In human reasoning, is murder worse than swearing? Absolutely. But be careful when you attribute human reasoning, especially “half milliseconds” worth of it, to God as if He thinks the same way you do. Keep in mind Jesus’ admonition " Hypocrites, well did Isaiah prophesy about you when he said: ‘This people honors me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines human precepts.’" (Matt 15:7-9)

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back