Sin to pray with non Catholics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rosthesinner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rosthesinner

Guest
I am Melkite, and I recently attended a Coptic Orthodox vespers. I was told that worshiping with those that the church considers to be in heresy is a grave sin. I wanted to know if this was true or not, especially since I worshiped with them publicly. Thank you.
 
Last edited:
No it’s not. I regularly go to Vespers at the Armenian Apostolic Church in my town.

-Fr ACEGC
 
I am no expert, however I think Coptic orthodox are very similar to Catholics rituals.
 
I guess those who told you it was a sin have not heard of Inter religious dialogue and ecumenism.
 
NO, nothing that they would say is contrary to your Catholic faith. That being said, you should still be mindful to attend Divine Liturgy with your fellow Catholics.
 
Why would it be?

I work at a protestant organisation where we say daily devotions. I still attend mass and say my own prayers. But find the ecumenical experience a nice part of my ritual. It also helps me to remember to pray more often. Surely there is no sin in this.
 
They have, and often cite St. Alphonsus Liguori, the other saints, and teachings from the Popes that forbid it.
 
They have, and often cite St. Alphonsus Liguori, the other saints, and teachings from the Popes that forbid it.
They might like to look at the examples and cite text from recent Popes now saints, Vatican II and look at the works of saints like Mother Theresa.
 
I can’t find it in a web search, but didn’t an orthodox patriarch recently chant the Gospel at a papal Mass in Rome?
 
Are you speaking of Fr Serafim and Psalm 50/52 in front of Pope Francis. Infamous clip because Vatican Radio claimed it as The Lords Prayer on Aramaic?
 
Christians may be encouraged to share in spiritual activities and resources, i.e., to share that spiritual heritage they have in common in a manner and to a degree appropriate to their present divided state.

The term “sharing in spiritual activities and resources” covers such things as prayer offered in common, sharing in liturgical worship in the strict sense, as described below in n. 116, as well as common use of sacred places and of all necessary objects…

The sharing of spiritual activities and resources, therefore, must reflect this double fact:
  1. the real communion in the life of the Spirit which already exists among Christians and is expressed in their prayer and liturgical worship;
  2. the incomplete character of this communion because of differences of faith and understanding which are incompatible with an unrestricted mutual sharing of spiritual endowments.
Principles and Norms on Ecumenism 102ff.
This what the Church teaches currently, from the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity. I am sure everyone involved in writing has read everything from Pius XII on back and incorporated into their understanding.
 
Sir what should we think according to you about Assissi meeting and quissing quoran.It is OK? We should read more stuff before Vatican II too and make up ur mind carefully what we should believe. I study carefully all teaching before Vatican II and after Vatican II. And what is not in harmony with THE CATHOLIC tradition I do reject. When I am asked by protestants if they can go to the heaven I tell them honestly extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Mortalium Animos Pius XI
the union of Christians can only be promoted by promoting the return to the one true Church of Christ of those who are separated from it, for in the past they have unhappily left it. To the one true Church of Christ, we say, which is visible to all, and which is to remain, according to the will of its Author, exactly the same as He instituted it."

Pius XI , Venerable Brethren, it is clear why this Apostolic See has never allowed its subjects to take part in the assemblies of non-Catholics: for the union of Christians can only be promoted by promoting the return to the one true Church of Christ of those who are separated from it, for in the past they have unhappily left it…

Can you earnestly explain to me why a sudden change happened after Vatican 2. Nowdays the schism is at the door because of amazon synody.
 
Last edited:
Sir,
I thinkt the contrary. It s a grave sin to pray with them, we should pray for them to convert
I think that Assissi meeting was a total blasphemy, or kissing the quoran… Jesus did not say, have a dialog with non- catholics and pagans but teach them. Look at mortalium animos of Pius XI. My Experience was as former non catholic was, that I was told by vatican II catholics, stay a good protestant, you ll go in the heaven anyway
Thankyou for the respect. I am female.

Jesus was all about table fellowship with sinners. Jesus was Jewish in His incarnation, and a very devout Jew. Jesus spoke with those of non Jewish faith, healed their sick,

Unfortunately with all your study you have missed this very important point. Jesus a devout Jew, as was Mary, Joseph and Apostles.

We do not attribute natural disasters to Acts of God because we do not agreewith what out head, the Pope is doing. That is superstition.
 
Last edited:
What was needed before may not be needed now.
I say this: there might be a problem if you attend Lutheran services with no understanding that they have no Priests. I mean, I was told by a wise Priest that it is ok to join a Lutheran choir or play organ in a Lutheran church.
 
I would say that prayer with non Catholics is only a problem if the form or intention of the prayer is something that is contrary to Catholic teaching.

Prayer in itself is never wrong. Regardless of who is standing or kneeling next to you.
 
And one of modernist priests told me Allah and Christian God are the same. What conclusion should we draw from this ?
That this “modernist” priest has been reading the Catechism, since it says that too.
 
I do not agree with that statement in the new cathechism. Very protestants do not agree with that.
 
Since “allah” is the Arabic word for “God” do you really think Arabic speaking Christians are in error?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top