Sin to waste time during insomnia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter la_petit_fleur
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

la_petit_fleur

Guest
I often have insomnia. Should I spend the hours praying? If I’m reading (sometimes spiritual reading, sometimes not) or on my phone is that wasting time? Is it a sin to waste time? I’m not scrupulous or anything, I just want to obey God out of love.
 
Last edited:
Insomnia is a terrible thing. Take care of your health as best you can - that’s what God wants.
 
Having insomnia and using that time to read, or do laundry or whatever is not a waste of time. So to think that anything you do in that time other than praying is a sin is quite a stretch and actually does sound scrupulous. Please speak to a priest.
 
Thanks for your perspective, maybe I will talk to my priest. It’s just that sometimes when I read sermons of St. John Vianney or St Alphonsus Liguori, they seem to reprimand people if they’re not spending every minute doing something for God. :woman_shrugging:t4: I’m not exactly a type-A personality so that kind of intensity seems pretty tough to maintain. I don’t know. It’s hard to figure out if something pleases or displeases God.
 
Last edited:
It’s hard to figure out if something pleases or displeases God.
Don’t overthink this, “fear of God” is filial. He is our Father, and loves us. Jesus loves us.
St Alphonsus Liguori
Try “Glories of Mary” by saint Alphonsus Liguori, it soothed me like few other books did. Place yourself under Our Ladies mantle. She will guide you to her son. Be at peace.

God bless.
 
These other actions you speak of such as reading etc. can be resting (though be weary of phone time as it may not be conducive to going back to sleep but that’s not a sin matter just a matter of health). Jesus had plenty to say about resting Matt 11 : 28-30 and he himself often went off away from the disciples to pray alone to God. One of the commandments bids us to have a day of rest and keep the Sabbath Holy, as God rested on that day. Rest allows us to renew and revitalise and so work better for God. I think this is even more important for those of us with sleep issues. Rest in the Lord , ask him to help you and accept his will for you, whether it be sleep or wakefulness. I’d suggest starting off this time with prayer and offering the time to him and then seeing how he directs you to fill the time. Perhaps you could prepare a few things to have to hand that might help you if you wish to go back to sleep/ or go to sleep in the first place or are resigned to getting up. I would not worry about being constantly productive, resting is essential
God bless you insomnia is not nice.
 
Please don’t stress yourself about ‘being productive’ during insomnia.
Pressure upon yourself would tend the exacerbate the problem.
Gentle peaceful meditation, hopefully might lead to sleep, but not as a forced activity.
Sleep is a natural healthy time for healing.
God grant that you can find practical gentle ways to promote good nights’ sleep.
Please take good care of the wonderful gift of God of your unique, precious self.
 
I can’t see that it would be sin to waste time during insomnia.

In general what is the definition of wasting time anyway? Is watching TV a waste of time? Is sitting relaxing in the garden, doing nothing, a waste of time? Is posting stuff online a waste of time? What constitutes a waste of time? And is wasting time, in moderation, really a sin?
 
Last edited:
You aren’t wasting time.

But please try to stop looking at your phone. That has been shown to increase insomnia rather than help it.
 
It is better to discuss this with a priest and/or a doctor, rather than asking strangers on the internet.
 
Recreation is not a sin.

Please, speak to your doctor about insomnia. It can cause everything from errors in your work to making you too tired to drive.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top