Sin to work on a Sunday?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Theresalux
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Theresalux

Guest
Is it a sin, possibly a mortal sin to do work on a Sunday?

Little background…

One way I make money is buying things from thrift stores and reselling them online.

So last Sunday I was visiting my family and my mom, sister and I talked about hitting some thrift stores. It was a rainy day and it seemed like a fun thing to do. I will add that we already fulfilled obligation for mass (Saturday vigil) and we had said a rosary on the way to the stores. I enjoy looking for things to find that I can resell, but I also in a way consider it work because it can get tiring and I make money from it. My sister was excited to go and I thought of it as a way to hang out with them while I looked for stuff to resell. While on one hand it was considered work to a degree, I also spent time with my mom and sister do the afternoon. Have I sinned in any way by working on a Sunday?
 
Last edited:
there is no command to do no work on Sunday. You do however have sunday “obligation”. Which means you need to attend mass unless there is a valid reason not to.
 
Last edited:
I think my main concern is whether I should mention this in my next confession.
 
There is a certainly a command to not work on Sunday, but there are exceptions. And the Church specifically warns us to be careful about these exceptions becoming habitual.

From the CCC:

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

As to the OP case, I would leave that up to her and her confessor. I admit, I do not take this teaching of the Church seriously enough. I think we should all be a little more aware of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top