Sin while sleeping?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kima
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kima

Guest
Hi.

I wondered if it´s possible to sin while sleeping? This morning I was asleep but aware that I started sexually satisfying myself. I thought like; this isn´t good, I shouldn´t be doing it, but I did it for a few seconds before stopping. I´m unsure of what to do know since I was conscious of doing it, but still asleep. Is this considered grave sin, venial sin or not a sin?

Thanks in advance 🙂
 
Last edited:
You cannot sin while you are asleep.
Please talk to a priest about your inability to judge sins and forming your conscious correctly.
 
I thought so as well, but struggled to know for sure as I was somewhat conscious.
 
Then find a priest who can guide you. Listen to him and him alone.
And stay of the forums- they can be detrimental to somene who suffers from scruples.
 
Hello Kima.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines sin as:

‘An offense against reason, truth, and right conscience; it is failure in genuine love for God and neighbor caused by a perverse attachment to certain goods…….It has been defined as "an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law”.’ (Section One; Chapter One’; Article 8).

It is clear that sin requires a wilful rebellion (expressed in thought, word or deed) to act contrary to eternal law; to act against truth and right conscience. How is this possible when one is asleep?
 
Last edited:
I see your point. Thank you!
You’re very welcome, Kima. But credit belongs to the Catechism.

May God bless you, and keep you close to Himself. This, after all, is why He made you.

You know how certain people look at others, seeking the slightest reason to bring them down? Well, God looks for the slightest reason to raise you up.
 
Last edited:
May God bless you, and keep you close to Himself. This, after all, is why He made you.

You know how certain people look at others, seeking the slightest reason to bring them down? Well, God looks for the slightest reason to raise you up.
Thank you for reminding me of that. It´s way too easy to forget 🙂
God bless you.
 
You can sin while sleeping. If you fall asleep next to someone after fornication or adultery, or next to someone of the same sex following a sexual encounter, I would say that the sin persists.
 
You can sin while sleeping. If you fall asleep next to someone after fornication or adultery, or next to someone of the same sex following a sexual encounter, I would say that the sin persists.
The sin occurs during the act itself. While awake. In this case, one falls asleep already in a state of sin. The sin persists until forgiven, true enough; but was not caused in sleep.
 
While asleep, I agree; one can sin no further. But the act of sleeping next to someone after one of those encounters is sinful. Because not only was the sexual act a sin, but now the sin persists while the people sleep next to each other, opening up temptation to commit more sexual acts upon waking.
 
While asleep, I agree; one can sin no further.
Exactly. One can ‘sin no futher’; the reason being that one cannot sin while asleep.

The act of remaining in an illicit situation, after a sinful encounter, is indeed sinful; and can, as you say, ‘open up temptation to commit more sexual acts upon waking.’ But the act of which we speak (remaining in bed) is a conscious act…a wilful act…an act carried out while yet awake (to state the obvious). And if, in the morning, more sexual acts do indeed occur, then…as you say …they are ‘carried out while awake’.
 
While asleep, I agree; one can sin no further. But the act of sleeping next to someone after one of those encounters is sinful. Because not only was the sexual act a sin, but now the sin persists while the people sleep next to each other, opening up temptation to commit more sexual acts upon waking.
Note that the choice to remain in a near occasion for sin was made while awake.
 
Hi.

I wondered if it´s possible to sin while sleeping? This morning I was asleep but aware that I started sexually satisfying myself. I thought like; this isn´t good, I shouldn´t be doing it, but I did it for a few seconds before stopping. I´m unsure of what to do know since I was conscious of doing it, but still asleep. Is this considered grave sin, venial sin or not a sin?

Thanks in advance 🙂
Well, remember, actual sin (venial or mortal) is voluntary. In order to consent it requires a little time to make a determination, and a conscious state not dream state.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top