Sinai

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jim_Baur
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim_Baur

Guest
If some wonderful person could explain the meaning of the word Sinai, I would be most grateful.

I pulled this definition from the Blue Letter Bible which uses Strongs, I think.

Sinai = “thorny”
1) the mountain where Moses received the Law from Jehovah; located at the southern end of the Sinai peninsula between the horns of the Red Sea; exact site unknown

In what sense is thorny being used?

Why do we not say “Mt. Thorny”?

Also, is there a connection to the throne in Genesis’ Garden?

Is there a connection with Jesus’ parable of the Sower and the Seed in St. Mark’s Gospel chapter 4?

Thanks!
 
If some wonderful person could explain the meaning of the word Sinai, I would be most grateful.

I pulled this definition from the Blue Letter Bible which uses Strongs, I think.

Sinai = “thorny”
1) the mountain where Moses received the Law from Jehovah; located at the southern end of the Sinai peninsula between the horns of the Red Sea; exact site unknown

In what sense is thorny being used?

Why do we not say “Mt. Thorny”?

Also, is there a connection to the throne in Genesis’ Garden?

Is there a connection with Jesus’ parable of the Sower and the Seed in St. Mark’s Gospel chapter 4?

Thanks!
I read somewhere that sinai = sacred desert mountain
 
If some wonderful person could explain the meaning of the word Sinai, I would be most grateful.

I pulled this definition from the Blue Letter Bible which uses Strongs, I think.

Sinai = “thorny”
1) the mountain where Moses received the Law from Jehovah; located at the southern end of the Sinai peninsula between the horns of the Red Sea; exact site unknown

In what sense is thorny being used?

Why do we not say “Mt. Thorny”?

Also, is there a connection to the throne in Genesis’ Garden?

Is there a connection with Jesus’ parable of the Sower and the Seed in St. Mark’s Gospel chapter 4?

Thanks!
Although the words are close, I can’t see any etymological connection between סיני (Sinai) and the word commonly translated as “bush” (e.g., Moses’ encounter with God) סנה. Further, I don’t see anything that would suggest the bush is “thorny.” But, if someone else has evidence to the contrary, I’d love to see it.

Also, there’s no Jehovah in the Bible, just to be picky 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top