J
jjsmity
Guest
I dont want to offend i am truly sorry. I simply did not see it in what you posted orginally.I find it pretty appalling that you would say our prayer of repentance “doesn’t count” simply because we include in it a petition for the Body of Christ (including saints) to pray for us. In addition to our statements of repentance (the confiteor, Lord have Mercy and our Sacrament of Reconciliation) and statement of faith (the Creed which is a public profession of faith, not “theology”) we do ask the Lord to come to us in a way that simply dwarfs any personal prayer-- Catholic or protestant. One could spend years in personal prayer and never encounter the Lord as profoundly as when Catholics receive Him in the Eucharist. ** It is in the liturgy of the Eucharist is where we come ask Jesus to come be the Lord of our lives. **We believe we receive Him as He intended–His Real Presence as real food and as real drink (Jn 6:53-55). The priest says “This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Happy are those who are called to his supper.” Then all respond (with humility) “Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed.” For Scriptural references that will help you understand the Catholic liturgy, you can click here
My understanding is that the sinner’s prayer is a prayer of repentance generally said during an initial conversion experience, like an “alter call”. Catholics don’t believe in a one time profession of faith and then after that we are “saved”. We recognize that we are sinners in need of repentance and forgiveness in Jesus at every Mass. We believe that we receive initial grace of salvation at our baptism, but then are continually sanctified by the Holy Spirit through faith throughout our lives. So a one time sinner’s prayer, doesn’t really work for us liturgically. That being said, I say something like a sinner’s prayer daily and I think a lot of posters here do the same.
No prayer can match the outpouring of love from Jesus to us and vice versa than when we are communion with Him in the Eucharistic meal. To receive Him is intensely “personal”. However, you’ve confirmed for me (by your remarks about our prayers basically not being personal enough) that protestants seem to have a “it’s all about me and Jesus” attitude. Catholics believe “it’s all about we and Jesus”. We don’t approach the table of God by ourselves. We are community, one body, and one Spirit, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all. Personal prayer is very important, I would never dream of denying that, but personal prayer is only part of how we encounter Jesus. There is a whole other experience of Jesus that protestants do not have.
question what is the " liturgy of the Eucharist"?.
what is “only say the word and I shall be healed”
great post and I was very happy to read it thank you. Also while we may emphasis personal we dont neglect being part of a body of believers.