Sinning about talking too much praying cause me to worry

  • Thread starter Thread starter newuser
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newuser

Guest
Hello all,

Can i ask something?
So i told someone close to me about my ocd, anxiety and stressed lately and the person didn’t take it well.
In the spur of moment, i explained to him that i might have more worry if i pray more so im trying to not pray too much and im asking god to heal my anxiety and depression, but in fact i’ve been praying more than i used to in the past.

My question is:
  1. Is it a sin or (is it mortal?) to say that too much praying cause me to worry and anxious? Is it blasphemous in any way? I get that conclusion from what i read in internet that the originality of scrupulosity is. I feel terrible now…
  2. Does it count as a lie?
 
What you are doing now is, in fact, praying. And God loves you for doing it, I believe!

Be at peace, my friend! 🙂

God loves us, including in our worst struggles and our ugliest moments, and I’m struggling with something similar right now.

He’s not looking to “get us” for doing something wrong…He’s looking to bring us all home. He came, and spoke, and bled and died for us…He wants you, and me, no matter how foolish or silly or ugly we feel.

I pray with you, and let us join hands and hearts, and rest in the Peace of Our Father’s Love.
 
Thanks for the reply and encouragement… I do believe god loves us all…

I am very fearful of offending god because i explained to someone that if i pray too much i might have more worry because i pray too much… so i said that i’m trying to limit my pray (in fact im not, i pray more than i used to in my past)…

Is it sinful to say that thing to someone, im very worried that it dishonors and offended god especially because i said about prayer cause me to be worried more constantly (in fact it’s not making me worry and i said that just because i read the background of scrupulosity and want to prevent myself from having too much praying that might worsen my scrupulosity)?
 
My question is:
  1. Is it a sin or (is it mortal?) to say that too much praying cause me to worry and anxious? Is it blasphemous in any way? I get that conclusion from what i read in internet that the originality of scrupulosity is. I feel terrible now…
  2. Does it count as a lie?
Not it is not wrong since you have OCD and anxiety. In the scriptures, it does say to pray without ceasing. However, doing so with your condition can result in prayer becoming like a crutch and can cause greater manifestation anxiety because of OCD tendencies and behaviors.

There is a prayer called the Morning Offering where we offer God our thoughts and actions of the day. This might work better for you since your actions become an offered prayer to God for His Glory. You can align your thoughts and actions to bring healing, by performing the healthy behaviors that empower you to conquer the intrusive thoughts, anxiety, and stress you experience throughout the day.
 
@newuser, if you saw a 4-year-old fretting with something like you are with God, how would you feel?

God feels infinitely more compassionate toward you! 🙂
 
Thanks for the reply…
Yes but in fact it’s not the prayer that makes me worry and anxious… but i said that because i read it in the internet (the background of scrupulosity where people get in excessive praying)… and want to prevent myself from doing the same thing
And now i feel terrible because i said that thing it’s like i’m saying the prayer cause my anxiety but in fact it’s not…
Is it a sin to do so?
Thank you…
 
well i think i would feel he or she truly love god and scare to offend god…
Well but a 4 year old and me it’s different right?
So in conclusion you are saying what i did is wrong or not?
 
Last edited:
And now i feel terrible because i said that thing it’s like i’m saying the prayer cause my anxiety but in fact it’s not…
Is it a sin to do so?
Thank you…
I don’t think the way you explained it is a sin.
OCD and scrupulosity can go hand in hand. I have read and even spoken to people that felt they ended up using excessive prayer as a crutch for their problems.
You are trying to avoid a harmful situation, so that is a noble action on your part.
God knows the intentions of your heart and the struggles of the cross you carry.
Your intentions seem good to me and it really isn’t sinful to say that too much prayer exacerbates your condition, because for some people, too much prayer can distract them from doing God’s will in their lives.
 
I ask God to bless you and lead you to live in trust, peace, and kindness.
 
You need to talk to your priest and your therapist.

Don’t being compulsive thoughts to the internet. You will not find relief from your scruples here.
 
You need to talk to your priest and your therapist.

Don’t being compulsive thoughts to the internet. You will not find relief from your scruples here.
I’m not sure I understand the second part of your post. If he hadn’t posted his issue he may not have gotten the advice to talk to a priest or a therapist. Unless you mean to say not to use this forum as one’s only resource for help with issues like this.

Fwiw I’ve found this forum very helpful for issues that I would like to talk to a priest about, but they never seem to have time. At least it let’s me get multiple viewpoints so when I do get a few minutes in the confessional I can make better use of the time. I can say “I talked to some people and this seems to be the issue…”
 
It is not a sin because you said the truth, that the prayer becausr your obsessive thoughts make you feel bad mentally. It’s not like you said the prayer is bad per se, but that in your case it has that effect. If you are not sure that your friend understood, if the occasion present itself, you can clarify.
Also regarding your state do not forget the devil wants you to abandon prayer and sacraments, so don’t give up
 
Is it a sin or (is it mortal?) to say that too much praying cause me to worry and anxious? Is it blasphemous in any way? I get that conclusion from what i read in internet that the originality of scrupulosity is. I feel terrible now…
In no way. In fact, there are different forms of prayer, and you probably want to talk to a spiritual director or Catholic counselor to work out a prayer program that works for you.

Remember the requirement of the Church: attend Holy Mass on Sunday and Holy Days of Obligation, and confess devoutly and receive Holy Communion (if allowed) at least during the Easter season.

The rest is for your spiritual growth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top