S
St_Francis
Guest
Right, because some good things are *more good *than other good things.The Church says that I have a grave duty to defend someone whose life I am responsible for. I can use legitimate defense in that situation, including deadly force if necessary.
But according to you, I cannot lie to do the same thing.![]()
Saving a life is a good thing. Avoiding committing a sin is a *even better *thing. We cannot focus on the lesser good while ignoring the greater good.
The thing about using deadly force is that it does become sinful at the point at which what you want to do is to kill the person. If you *must *kill the person for effective defense, that is unfortunate; it is a side-effect of the defensive action, not what you wanted to do. But if there is a point at which what you want to do is just to see that person dead, then that aspect would be sinful.
So, the taking of a life can be sinful or not sinful; it can be murder or it can be killing.
Mere killing, as in defense, is not sinful, so you have not committed a sin in the protection of the life.
However, if you lie, that is in and of itself sinful, so you can’t do it, *even *to save a person’s life.
Deceit, otoh, is all right in that situation where it wouldn’t be in others.