Sis and his family

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hello_All
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hello_All

Guest
sis ,my b-i-l and nephew just visisted us for aboout 3 days.my nephew is 8 y/o and he does not have any idea ,who is GOd?I am mad at his parents.They dont go to church.My nephwe was playing video games ,most of the time.Also,we were irritated ,as my B-I-L readjusted our A/C to 72 degrees,w/o our permission.I ended up barking almost all night long, and had to use blanket.He told me thathe can sleep in a refrigerator.also,they keep all our lights on,even if they’re not in the bed or bathroom.I couldnt say anything,as we warned that they are very sensitive people.they’re coming back next yr and i dread their presence.i dont knw what to tell them.they treat my house like its theirs.any suggestion/s will be appreciated.
 
sis ,my b-i-l and nephew just visisted us for aboout 3 days.my nephew is 8 y/o and he does not have any idea ,who is GOd?I am mad at his parents.They dont go to church.My nephwe was playing video games ,most of the time.Also,we were irritated ,as my B-I-L readjusted our A/C to 72 degrees,w/o our permission.I ended up barking almost all night long, and had to use blanket.He told me thathe can sleep in a refrigerator.also,they keep all our lights on,even if they’re not in the bed or bathroom.I couldnt say anything,as we warned that they are very sensitive people.they’re coming back next yr and i dread their presence.i dont knw what to tell them.they treat my house like its theirs.any suggestion/s will be appreciated.
 
Well… I think before inviting them over again, there needs to be a long talk about house rules. If your BIL needs it to be cold to sleep perhaps put a fan in his room. And if they are so sensitive that you can’t politely say 'please when you are not in a room shut the lights, I would not have them back

As for your nephew, if he does not know who God is (which sounds really odd at 8), that is 100% the parents choice. They get to raise their kids any way they want. All you can do is pray for him.

As for the video games, was it a case you could not use your TV or living room when you wanted? If so, set a scedule. If it is a case you just don’t think it is healthy behaviour, again, his parents get to decide on that

CM
 
By ‘sensitive’ I take it to mean presumptuous and will throw a fit if they don’t get their way? :rolleyes: Remember, your house, your family, your rules. You have every right to stand up for yourself and to decide who is welcome to stay overnight.

Simply advise them they’ll need to get a hotel room next year, as you won’t be able to accommodate them again.
 
sis ,my b-i-l and nephew just visisted us for aboout 3 days.my nephew is 8 y/o and he does not have any idea ,who is GOd?I am mad at his parents.They dont go to church.My nephwe was playing video games ,most of the time.Also,we were irritated ,as my B-I-L readjusted our A/C to 72 degrees,w/o our permission.I ended up barking almost all night long, and had to use blanket.He told me thathe can sleep in a refrigerator.also,they keep all our lights on,even if they’re not in the bed or bathroom.I couldnt say anything,as we warned that they are very sensitive people.they’re coming back next yr and i dread their presence.i dont knw what to tell them.they treat my house like its theirs.any suggestion/s will be appreciated.
lay down the law. They are your guests but it is still your home. They need to respect your rules. As for their son not knowing God simply pray for him. He might find his way to God all on his own. I certainly did. My father is a lapsed Catholic (from before i was born) and my mom never went to church a day in her life outside of weddings and funerals. But I found my way to God and His Church 👍 I may be one of the worst Catholics in history for falling as often as I do, but I still try. If God could work me into the Church He can work with anyone.
 
sis ,my b-i-l and nephew just visisted us for aboout 3 days.my nephew is 8 y/o and he does not have any idea ,who is GOd?I am mad at his parents.They dont go to church.My nephwe was playing video games ,most of the time.Also,we were irritated ,as my B-I-L readjusted our A/C to 72 degrees,w/o our permission.I ended up barking almost all night long, and had to use blanket.He told me thathe can sleep in a refrigerator.also,they keep all our lights on,even if they’re not in the bed or bathroom.I couldnt say anything,as we warned that they are very sensitive people.they’re coming back next yr and i dread their presence.i dont knw what to tell them.they treat my house like its theirs.any suggestion/s will be appreciated.
You nephew: not much you can do there; as his parents, how they raise him is their business.

The A/C - I agree with someone who said give him a fan.

Lights - Just casually mention it next time; “oh, we’re trying to keep our electric bill down because utility costs have gotten ridiculous - we’re trying to remember to always shut off lights when we leave rooms. Can you help us out & do the same? Thanks!”

Them treating your house like it is theirs: If my family (or even my close friends, for that matter) were staying at my house, I would hope they felt at home enough to treat my house like their own! If I love you enough to let you stay with me, then, well, “mi casa es su casa”!! But that’s just me.
 
It sounds like there are two issues here: you don’t like how your nephew is raised, and you don’t like how your inlaws behave in your home. There is nothing you can do about how they raise their son. If he asks about God then you answer his questions and in that way teach him about your faith. As for the way they behave in your home, you have every right to expect respectful behaviour. Explain how you do things and ask them do do the same. That includes videogames. Tell them he can play a certain amount of time so the adults can watch the TV. I don’t know what kind of relationship you have with your sister, but if possible tell her what is bothering you and ask her to have a chat with her husband about those things.
 
sis ,my b-i-l and nephew just visisted us for aboout 3 days.my nephew is 8 y/o and he does not have any idea ,who is GOd?I am mad at his parents.They dont go to church.My nephwe was playing video games ,most of the time.Also,we were irritated ,as my B-I-L readjusted our A/C to 72 degrees,w/o our permission.I ended up barking almost all night long, and had to use blanket.He told me thathe can sleep in a refrigerator.also,they keep all our lights on,even if they’re not in the bed or bathroom.I couldnt say anything,as we warned that they are very sensitive people.they’re coming back next yr and i dread their presence.i dont knw what to tell them.they treat my house like its theirs.any suggestion/s will be appreciated.
It’s going to happen again and again unless you set the boundaries.This is your house,your rules,it’s as simple as that!A characteristic of true christian charity contrary to popular belief is to correct those who are in error.This will teach them also to be considerate and mindful of others and will avoid you from sinning,by anger,defamation, back-biting,etc.This will also stop them from being self-centered and learn a trait of sacrifice and charity on their part.

Having said that,it is family and you must learn on your part to endure your hardships to come out of your comfort zone to give hospitality and to play a generous host,and to bear patiently the troublesome.In this case you do not do it for yourself,but for the love of Christ who has,I can only assume,forgiven you and bore your troubles more than once?

Above all,be prudent in your judgments and don’t mistaken stupidity for humility,nor someone’s door mat for charity if you get my drift?

God bless,

JMJ
 
sis ,my b-i-l and nephew just visisted us for aboout 3 days.my nephew is 8 y/o and he does not have any idea ,who is GOd?I am mad at his parents.They dont go to church.My nephwe was playing video games ,most of the time.Also,we were irritated ,as my B-I-L readjusted our A/C to 72 degrees,w/o our permission.I ended up barking almost all night long, and had to use blanket.He told me thathe can sleep in a refrigerator.also,they keep all our lights on,even if they’re not in the bed or bathroom.**I couldnt say anything,as we warned that they are very sensitive people.they’re coming back next yr **and i dread their presence.i dont knw what to tell them.they treat my house like its theirs.any suggestion/s will be appreciated.
So…They are coming back next year why? They are rude house guests and have invited themselves back before being asked?

“I’m sorry, sis, we can’t host you next year. We can help you find a hotel, and we’ll be glad to meet you somewhere for dinner.”

“No, sorry, that doesn’t work for us, we have other plans at that time.”

“I’m sorry you are upset, but we really are unable to host you at our house. There are some nice hotels nearby and I will be happy to make you a reservation or you can use their website (provide links).”

p.s. Please don’t start more than one thread. I reported this one to the mods so they can merge the 2 into 1.
 
thanks for all the clever responses and sorry for the double thread.just have to correct my grammar, for the second. my b-i-l is cold natured.he had a fan and a/c, on, at the same time when they were here . btw. my sister used to be catholic,became evangelical ,now agnostic.my b-i-l was raised baptist,but now is agnostic as well.i invited them to mass, and i was in disbelief that my nephew was so quiet all the time,as he is one of those hyperactive kids.then,after the mass ,i told my b-i-l that he was not supposed to recieve the host ,as he does not believe in the real presence.however,he responded that jesus will not discrminate worshippers who want to partake in communion.it was my fault,as i didnt prenotify him about it.our conversation was heating up and i just changed the topic.however,i told him not to receive it next time.btw,he is collecting statues from different faith.he lined up jesus with buddha and hindu statues on his altar.i didnt say anything,as it may spark another argument.again,thanks for ther responses.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top