Sister differences

  • Thread starter Thread starter misspriss
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

misspriss

Guest
My older sister and I were best friends growing up. We’ve kind of grown apart, but I try to stay in touch. We both grew up Baptist, I have since become Catholic and last I heard she was going to a non-denominational church if she did go.

She was married and divorced this past spring. I just got married last summer. She and her ex-husband struggled with infertility while they were together and were never able to conceive. She is now living with a man she has no intention of marrying. I recently conceived my first month of trying, and she has been relatively supportive. She is currently trying to conceive with this guy she is marrying. I am kind of supportive, but I really can’t be behind it when she is not married to the man and has no intention of it. I have encouraged her to quit smoking and other things that might help, but I feel those would help her anyway.

Today we talked and I was talking about how after the baby comes I won’t be using birth control, that DH and I are planning to stay open to life. She made a comment about how she knows how Catholics feel about birth control, and how they are against people who use IVF and stuff. I would never encourage her to do IVF or anything, because I do feel that it interferes with God’s plan to give life. But I don’t really know what to say.

Anyway, I just needed a place to share, it is frustrating and I wanted to talk about it but I didn’t know where else to. That and the pregnancy hormones are making me emotional about a lot of stuff…
 
Sometimes family are the hardest to evangelize. They don’t respect us. They take every thing as if we are judging them, and get upset. I used to push too hard, because I loved them, and wanted them to understand. I found what works best is to just plant a seed, and let it go. I pray, and ask God to send others to water the seed. I pray that God will convert their soul. Living your life right is the best testimony. It will take years, but it works. God bless you sister! 🙂
 
My sister and I are in the same boat. I’m Catholic and she’s a Protestant. Although I’m the one who encouraged her to try NFP and ditch the pill when she was toying with the idea of having her fourth child (she’s due in a month!) she’s terrified with the thought of not immediately going on the pill after she gives birth to save her from baby #5. She doesn’t trust NFP and she thinks her husband won’t be able to “control himself” the days they’re supposed to avoid sex. I tried telling her there was a lot more to it than that but she won’t listen.

We also got into a mini-argument one day because I was telling her how frustrating it is to hear that our high schools are passing out free condoms to teenagers. She made some snide comment about how the Catholic view of chastity is unrealistic and outdated. After trying to defend my point of view, I just dropped it. I know she’s cynical about the Catholic faith and I’m hoping that by not pushing too hard I can evangelize to her and encourage her to keep the lines of communication open.

Hang in there, hun. Be a good example, don’t push her too hard, and just be there for her when she needs you. That’s the best way to evangelize.
 
Luke 4:

14 And Jesus came back to Galilee with the power of the Spirit upon him; word of him went round through all the neighbouring country, 15 and he began to preach in their synagogues, so that his praise was on all men’s lips. 16 Then he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up; and he went into the synagogue there, as his custom was, on the sabbath day, and stood up to read. 17 The book given to him was the book of the prophet Isaias; so he opened it, and found the place where the words ran: 18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me; he has anointed me, and sent me out to preach the gospel to the poor, to restore the broken-hearted; 19 to bid the prisoners go free, and the blind have sight; to set the oppressed at liberty, to proclaim a year when men may find acceptance with the Lord, a day of retribution.[f] 20 Then he shut the book, and gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. All those who were in the synagogue fixed their eyes on him, 21 and thus he began speaking to them, This scripture which I have read in your hearing is to-day fulfilled. 22 All bore testimony to him, and were astonished at the gracious words which came from his mouth; Why, they said, is not this the son of Joseph? 23** Then he said to them, No doubt you will tell me, as the proverb says, Physician, heal thyself; do here in thy own country all that we have heard of thy doing at Capharnaum. 24 And he said, Believe me, no prophet finds acceptance in his own country.[g] 25 Why, you may be sure of this, there were many widows among the people of Israel in the days of Elias, when a great famine came over all the land, after the heavens had remained shut for three years and six months, 26 but Elias was not sent to any of these. He was sent to a widow woman in Sarepta, which belongs to Sidon.[h] 27 And there were many lepers among the people of Israel in the days of the prophet Eliseus; but it was none of them, it was Naaman the Syrian, who was made clean.* 28 All those who were in the synagogue were full of indignation at hearing this; 29 they rose up and thrust him out of the city, and took him up to the brow of the hill on which their city was built, to throw him over it. 30 But he passed through the midst of them, and so went on his way.***
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top