Unlike some traditional Masses the new rite Masses are full, and there is 5-7 in every weekend. The regulation is the time frame of the schedule
In my territorial Church the Sunday schedule is:
6:30, 8:00, 9:30, 11:00, 12:30
except for the last one the total time frame is 90 minutes. Since the masses are full (300+ people on average) the peaceful turnover is 20 minutes (first crowd leaves, new fills the parking lot). Thus the time frame for a mass regulated by the reality in 70 minutes. If the priest makes longer homily than 10 minutes, that can be done only for the expense of the Eucharistic prayer.
You can say: Oh they are just hot bodies, who cares about the, You have to meditate on the question: does our Lord call everyone to met him, or only a few selected ones? If you think it over you will understand the new rite masses, and you will realize that our Lord is present there.
That’s just not the case Lazlo. My pastor, who is an awesome homilist, routinely gives a 15 to 20 minute homily and I prepare for the opportunities I get to give the homily by preparing a message, whether it is 10 or 20 minutes, I give a message. This is what my pastor has directed me to do, I oblige and the people have responded to the messages I have delivered.
With this said, the difference in mass time from a 10 minute homily to a 20 minute homily is 55 to 65 minutes. I believe you can handle staying in mass for 65 minutes, don’t you agree?
We are not losing church attendees because of long homilies or long masses, especially when you consider most leave to go to protestant non-denominational churches where the preacher preaches for 45 to 50 minutes.
No we are losing parishioners because we don’t stand out anymore as something real and different. Sadly we lose because we don’t feed. Changing the mass by little increments like sitting as the Gospel is proclaimed does just that.
I served with a priest, a visiting priest from outside our diocese, this weekend that went a step further. He told me just before time to get up and proclaim the gospel that he would read the gospel, then he proceeded to tell the people to sit and that he would read the gospel and “insert” his homily between the lines while he read the word. And he did exactly that!
You couldn’t tell where his words stopped and the Lord’s words started. It was quite strange. Some people loved it, some questioned me after mass, “can he do that?” I’ll be honest, I didn’t know what to tell them without giving the appearance I was dogging the priest.
I called my diaconate coordinator for our diocese yesterday and I intend to talk to my pastor today to see if he will address this.
All of these small things cause big problems, and major confusion; that’s why we are losing so many Catholics.