Skipping Mass, a mortal sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter foreverblessed
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but . . . .

I’m doing research to find out what the Church really teaches about skipping Mass on Sunday. I’ve always been taught that it’s a mortal sin, and that’s what I’ve lived. However, after reading through this entire thread, I haven’t one single refference to a Church document that says that skipping Mass is a mortal sin. Is there such a document? Can someone help me understand?

Michael Welter:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but . .
I’m doing research to find out what the Church really teaches about skipping Mass on Sunday. I’ve always been taught that it’s a mortal sin, and that’s what I’ve lived. However, after reading through this entire thread, I haven’t one single refference to a Church document that says that skipping Mass is a mortal sin. Is there such a document? Can someone help me understand?
In addition to the Ten Commandments there are at least a half dozen Commandments of the Church. I know they are mentioned in the Baltimore Catechism. My CCC is not available at the moment so I can’t check there. Some of them are. Attend Mass on Sundays and Holydays of Obligation. Contribute to the Support of the Church. Fast and Abstain on the days appointed. Receive communion during the Easter Time. If in mortal sin, go to confession at least once a year during the Easter Time. My understanding is that all of these are considered to involve grave matter.

The Catechsim of the Catholic Church section 2181 calls missing Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation a grave sin.

2180 says any Mass in a Catholic rite fulfills the obligation.

2183 says that if no Mass is available in your parish church to spend some time in prayer.

Before Vatican II, the local Catholic church taught what the Catholic Church taught. The parishioners believed what the Catholic Church taught. And the Mass was very definately in a Catholic rite.

Nowadays the situation is very different. The local “Catholic Church” teaches whatever it pleases. The parishioners believe what they please. And the “Mass” is in a rite made up by the local Church. The church may still have valid sacraments, but it is not Catholic in what it believes and teaches. And its Sunday service is not a Mass in a Catholic rite.

There is a church like this in the parish where I live. Therefore, I have no obligation to attend Sunday Mass.

However, I drive 20 miles to attend a church where the priest teaches what the Catholic Church teaches, where there are some parishioners who believe what the Catholic Church believes, and where the priest says Mass in a Catholic rite.

If for some reason I couldn’t drive, there would be no way for me to get to Mass on Sunday.

Judging by many of the comments on this forum, a large number of people in United States no longer have an obligation to attend Mass on Sunday. The reason being that many of the churches that bear the name “Catholic” are in fact not Catholic churches at all. And/or the service taking place on Sunday is not in a rite approved by the Catholic Church.

I just want to thank you for asking the question! I teach CCD for the sacramental prep students, all of whom are getting ready to make their First Confession. Last week, we talked about this very thing…is it a sin to miss Mass? Some kids said no, some said yes, many did not know. Then one kiddo, 8 years old, pipes up “I’m too busy to go to Mass! I don’t have time!” :bigyikes:

Sheesh! Why send your kid to sacramental prep if you aren’t going to get them to Mass? We talked about ways he could get to Mass, such as attend the Mass right after CCD, or set his alarm to get up earlier, etc. So, this same kid (bless his heart) and his mother are OUTSIDE AT THE PLAYGROUND when the next Mass starts! ARRGGHH! :banghead:

Please pray for all who are preparing to receive the sacraments, young or old, that they may recieve good, solid instruction and develop a faithful spiritual life.

Chris Jacobsen:
The Catechsim of the Catholic Church section 2181 calls missing Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation a grave sin.
I think there is a multitude of otherwise loyal Catholics who are ignorant of this and a lot of other matters.

Nowadays the situation is very different. The local “Catholic Church” teaches whatever it pleases. The parishioners believe what they please. And the “Mass” is in a rite made up by the local Church. The church may still have valid sacraments, but it is not Catholic in what it believes and teaches. And its Sunday service is not a Mass in a Catholic rite. There is a church like this in the parish where I live. Therefore, I have no obligation to attend Sunday Mass

This is an illogical opinion born out of ignorance of the opposite sort.

However, I drive 20 miles to attend a church where the priest teaches what the Catholic Church teaches, where there are some parishioners who believe what the Catholic Church believes, and where the priest says Mass in a Catholic rite.

Perfectly logical if your opinion is a valid statement. Kind of like other “cafeteria” Catholics.

Judging by many of the comments on this forum, a large number of people in United States no longer have an obligation to attend Mass on Sunday. The reason being that many of the churches that bear the name “Catholic” are in fact not Catholic churches at all. And/or the service taking place on Sunday is not in a rite approved by the Catholic Church.

Come on Chris, gimmee a break!

40.png
foreverblessed:
I am referring to leaving after Communion for reasons such as avoiding traffic in the parking lot or wanting to take your screaming child home for a nap.
To the already good discussion that’s gone on, I’d like to add my two cents about leaving Mass early.

Taking a screaming child out after Communion, especially if there is no cry room, could be an act of mercy to the others in church, providing we’re talking about an infant here and not one old enough to be expected to last an hour at Mass. If this is a recurring problem, I’d recommend “tag teaming” it.

Leaving early to avoid traffic is exceedingly lame. Usually I stay a few minutes after Mass to fellowship with others who stay, and by that time the roads are clear. If you don’t want to be part of the exploding parking lot scene, just chill out, wait three minutes after the final hymn is over, and it’ll be calm and you can leave like I do – not in a hurry. Besides, then you don’t have to maneuver around other cars in the parking lot and can cut straight across like boating across a calm lake.

By the way, this applies to concerts, movies and other events. I like to sit in the comfy chair until I’ve seen the “whole” movie including the credits, and by the time I get to the car there’s a clear shot. When we went to a circus a couple years ago, we stayed until the crowd was out of the way and meanwhile were entertained by watching them dismantle the equipment.

What’s the big hurry to get away from things? If the point is to get away efficiently, why don’t we just not go in the first place?

Alan

Dear Alan

Spot on and you did make me laugh :rotfl: . It is a bit of a fight to get out of church and get away from the crowd, sometimes you wish you had a crow bar!..I do the same as you and stay until the church is almost empty and the next lot of folks are turning up for a baptism say…it’s a matter of 5 or 10 minutes and this time I spend knelt before our Lord Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, infact I love to be alone with My Lord Jesus and after Mass is ideal to do this. I also take my daughter and light our candles, its also like you say, a lovely time to have a chat with your friends at church and get to know people you do not know who attend the same church as you.

Why do we rush so much, what on this earth is more important than Jesus and prayer (conversation) with Him?? NOTHING!!! no getting out early, no chore, no activity is more important.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

40.png
Teresa9:
Dear Alan

Spot on and you did make me laugh :rotfl: . It is a bit of a fight to get out of church and get away from the crowd, sometimes you wish you had a crow bar!..I do the same as you and stay until the church is almost empty and the next lot of folks are turning up for a baptism say…it’s a matter of 5 or 10 minutes and this time I spend knelt before our Lord Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, infact I love to be alone with My Lord Jesus and after Mass is ideal to do this. I also take my daughter and light our candles, its also like you say, a lovely time to have a chat with your friends at church and get to know people you do not know who attend the same church as you.

Why do we rush so much, what on this earth is more important than Jesus and prayer (conversation) with Him?? NOTHING!!! no getting out early, no chore, no activity is more important.

Teresa
Better one day in our Fathers house than 1000 elsewhere. 😃

40.png
Teresa9:
Dear Alan

Teresa
When I drive, I do this too. I tend to walk to church, though, so I don’t worry about the traffic. It also lets me spend extra time before the tabernacle without worrying about someone I may be blocking.

Walking to Mass = good exercise and no parking problems.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back