Slain in the Spirit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jeanne71350
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeanne71350

Guest
Hi everyone,

I am pretty confused about being slain in the spirit. I know that the people who fall out rest in the presence of God and the Holy Spirit. It’s like Jesus catches them. And they are peaceful. It seems to be a blessing from the Holy Spirit, to be fully emmersed in God.
I am really confused about it. Are certian people capable of doing it, and others are not? It seems like some people fall out every time the Eucharist is exposed. Some people start shaking and having tremors too? I really don’t understand this at all. How does one know that God wants them to fall out? What does it feel like? I’m sorry if this is a lot of questions, I’m really puzzled.
I have never experienced this. I am more of a crier during Adoration. I just weep and weep. Sometimes I don’t even know why. Maybe I don’t have the gift of being slain in the spirit?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks and God Bless 🙂

-Jeanne
 
I don’t really understand how or why this happens to people…

I think whatever graces God has given you, they are special and exactly what you need 🙂 I’d say, leave it up to Him 🙂
 
Wow, people are getting slain in the Spirit during mass at your church? where is your church? I want to check this out 🙂
 
I believe this is a gift to some and not to all. When we had our Life in the Spirit seminar facilitated by Charismatics, they told us that being “slain by the Spirit” was already happening even during apostolic times. i myself never experienced this but if it happened to early christians then I could see no reason why it can’t happen now. However I will leave it those who have experienced it to explain the phenomenon.
 
I have seen people blessed and ‘slain’ in the spirit a couple of times by Fr. Matthew Swizdor, OFM who is now deceased but he used to give retreats and talks to parishes. You can google or startsearch him.
Some people start shaking and having tremors too?
Those I have seen slain in the spirit, appear to fall in a natural and normal manner backward with no apparent fear of falling (into the arms of a person behind them).

However, I would question ‘what’ spirit is at work if there is shaking or tremors. Check out the Toronto Blessing on “en.wikipedia.org” for examples of the wrong spirit.
dona
 
The term used in Catholic circles is “resting in the Spirit” …instead of slain…
 
Read “Counterfeit Revival.” Good Book about the Protestant Toronto Blessing. VEry Revealing.

Incidentally, the WHole Catholic Charismatic MOvement began When some college students attended a Protestant prayer meeting and asked for this “blessing” as Well. So Its roots are based in disobedience. Just so you know.
 
Read “Counterfeit Revival.” Good Book about the Protestant Toronto Blessing. VEry Revealing.

Incidentally, the WHole Catholic Charismatic MOvement began When some college students attended a Protestant prayer meeting and asked for this “blessing” as Well. So Its roots are based in disobedience. Just so you know.
Are you trying to say that the charismatic Catholic movement is not of God? If so, why? I have some experience with the charismatic Catholic movement and it is mostly good experience. I do, however, have a very small amount of bad experience but I will not speak about it. I think that overall, the movement is a good movement. After all, Pope John Paul II spoke well of the movement. 👍
 
40.png
jeanne71350:
I am pretty confused about being slain in the spirit. I know that the people who fall out rest in the presence of God and the Holy Spirit. It’s like Jesus catches them. And they are peaceful. It seems to be a blessing from the Holy Spirit, to be fully emmersed in God.
I am really confused about it. Are certian people capable of doing it, and others are not?
When it is genuine, it is a gift that comes from the Holy Spirit. I met a man a while back whose whole life was turned around and purified as a result of such an experience. He is fast on the way to becoming a priest.

Because this comes from God, we cannot “do” it, but we can receive it if He wills it. I’ll elaborate more below.
40.png
jeanne71350:
It seems like some people fall out every time the Eucharist is exposed.
That might be a special gift for them, if it’s genuine. It’s not our place to judge such things; that’s for the Holy Spirit.
40.png
jeanne71350:
Some people start shaking and having tremors too?
I experienced that once. It’s really awe; I guess that that’s the best way I can describe it. You’re so smitten by the experience of God in the Eucharist that your body physically reacts. It’s not like you do it on purpose, if it’s genuine. It just happens to you.
"jeanne71350:
I really don’t understand this at all. How does one know that God wants them to fall out?
They don’t know, and they don’t fall on purpose. Imagine someone pushes you over. You didn’t choose to fall over. In the same way, they don’t choose to fall. You don’t choose to weep during Adoration either. That’s just how the Presence of God affects you. They fall because they are overcome by the Presence of God.
40.png
jeanne71350:
What does it feel like? I’m sorry if this is a lot of questions, I’m really puzzled.
I’ve never experienced it, so I couldn’t tell you firsthand. The seminarian I met who did experience it felt a great sense of peace. I don’t remember more of what he said than that, though.
40.png
jeanne71350:
I have never experienced this. I am more of a crier during Adoration. I just weep and weep. Sometimes I don’t even know why. Maybe I don’t have the gift of being slain in the spirit?
God gives us what He wants :). He could slay you or me in the Spirit any time He wants to, but if He doesn’t want to, that’s fine too. I can’t think of any canonized saints who had this experience, offhand, so it’s obviously not necessary to advance the soul in holiness. Though I do believe it helps, when God gives it.*
However, I would question ‘what’ spirit is at work if there is shaking or tremors. Check out the Toronto Blessing on “en.wikipedia.org” for examples of the wrong spirit.
dona
We are called to work out our salvation with “fear and trembling.” Trembling with awe or as a result of being deeply impressed by the Presence of God is not a bad thing. Though I suspect trembling can accompany experiences with evil spirits as well.

Fide Roma, I heard the opposite, that the Charismatic movement started in France with a bunch of nuns and spread into Protestantism from the Catholic Church. Though I could be wrong.

But let’s say for the sake of argument that your source is right. Vatican II acknowledged in official documents that the Holy Spirit moves among Protestants as well, so even if He did act among them first, that doesn’t mean these things are not from God.

Remember that some of His most remarkable blessings came to those who were outside of Israel and were Gentiles in the times of the Old Covenant, such as the healing of Naaman and the miraculous gift of food for the widow of Zarapheth. In the same way, graces of God can be poured out to people outside of full communion with the New Israel and can come into our family from there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top