Sleep Paralysis/Lucid Dream

  • Thread starter Thread starter smead2942
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smead2942

Guest
I’ve heard a little about sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming. Though I’ve always had very vivid dreams, I have never gone through anything to that extent, that I can remember. Until today.

In the early hours of the morning, I experienced what must have been lucid dreaming for the first time. I remember waking up but not being able to move. I felt like my body was glued to the mattress. Of course this scared me, and I tried so hard to escape it that I did. I saw myself laying in my bed, motionless, then in an instant returned and woke up.

Now, I know that sleep paralysis is a natural phenomena to prevent the body from acting out dreams. But I’ve also read accounts of people encountering supernatural beings, such as demons, while lucid dreaming. I doubt any of that will happen, but I don’t want to find out. It’s a terrifying feeling-- demonic or not. Pray that this does not become a regular occurrence for me!
 
I’ve heard a little about sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming. Though I’ve always had very vivid dreams, I have never gone through anything to that extent, that I can remember. Until today.

In the early hours of the morning, I experienced what must have been lucid dreaming for the first time. I remember waking up but not being able to move. I felt like my body was glued to the mattress. Of course this scared me, and I tried so hard to escape it that I did. I saw myself laying in my bed, motionless, then in an instant returned and woke up.

Now, I know that sleep paralysis is a natural phenomena to prevent the body from acting out dreams. But I’ve also read accounts of people encountering supernatural beings, such as demons, while lucid dreaming. I doubt any of that will happen, but I don’t want to find out. It’s a terrifying feeling-- demonic or not. Pray that this does not become a regular occurrence for me!
I deal with sleep paralysis occasionally.I find this occur when I am sleeping on my back.
If this is the case with you,try staying on you side to the best of your ability.
 
I agree with Jeanne about sleeping on your side if possible. I don’t know if there is a reason for it but every time I encounter sleep paralysis I have been on my back.

The worst is when you try to cry out but you can’t but you can’t because your mouth is glued shut. Of course, my husband probably wouldn’t like that, but he doesn’t much care for me awkwardly groaning through my teeth, either.

For me it seemed to peak in my late teens and early 20s. I’m not sure if was developmental, spiritual, or some combination. I was into some weird stuff in that period of my life, and didn’t take very good care of my body. Could be coincidental, or maybe not.
 
But I’ve also read accounts of people encountering supernatural beings, such as demons, while lucid dreaming.
Dreaming is the key word there; whatever you encounter is not real, but a part of the dream. Tho I know how frightening it is - it happened to me once a year or two ago. Even tho I was awake enough to know what was happening, not being able to move was very scary.
 
Another thought,OP mentions this happens in early morning.Same with me.So,I wonder if there is some sort of lapse in the process of awakening that causes this very scary phenomena?
 
Sleep-paralysis and lucid dreaming are distinct phenomena. I’ve done both.

Lucid dreaming is simply you know that you are dreaming. It’s fun, as you can then control the dream, although your mind may then just wake up your body.

Sleep paralysis is when you wake up and can’t move (some even say that they can’t breathe, because there is only enough breath for a sleeping body and we breathe much more when awake). This is frightening, but as was said, it is normal.

Sleeping on one’s side is not a cure for it, as the one time it happened to
me, I was on my side.

The thing is, in sleep-paralysis, your head is still half asleep (the areas that operate your limbs). Because you are still half asleep, you may see things or beings that just aren’t there.

Should it happen to you again, just go back to sleep, your body will then awaken normally; be not afraid, as St. JP2 would say 😉

ICXC NIKA.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top