Sleepwear

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrockH
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrockH

Guest
Would it be wrong for a 17-year old Catholic guy to sleep in the nude?
 
No more wrong than for a 17 year old guy to shower in the nude.

Our bodies are sacred. Saint Paul just reminded us in his letter to Corinthians this past weekend at Mass to avoid all immorality with our bodies. This is something we aim and strive for. Sleeping, however, is by no means immoral. Further, nudity in and of itself is by no means immoral. It is absolutely fine. Now it might be embarrassing if a family member needed to wake you or if you had to flee from the house in some sort of emergency, but that’s a totally different conversation. 😛
 
Objectively, it’s not wrong for a person of any age. I’m a Catholic guy, and I sleep in the nude every night no matter the season, and have since I was about 12. It’s very comfortable and natural and gives you a more restful sleep.

Do you already do it, or is it something you haven’t tried yet and are just asking about? The sensation can cause some unexpected temptation in the very beginning, but once you’re used to it, it shouldn’t present even a remote occasion of sin.

If you’re 17, then you probably still live at home, so it might be considerate to tell your parents or siblings that’s how you sleep so they don’t accidentally come in to wake you up and get an eyefull. I learned that the hard way when I was a teenager and my mom needed to get laundry out of my room one morning! 😊

BTW, this thread probably belongs in a forum other than Spirituality.
 
I should qualify what I said by pointing out the obvious - sleeping naked is fine provided you’re alone in the room and the door is shut. Until, of course, you’re married (should that be your vocation), in which case it’s not only fine, but beautiful and ideal.
 
I should qualify what I said by pointing out the obvious - sleeping naked is fine provided you’re alone in the room and the door is shut. Until, of course, you’re married (should that be your vocation), in which case it’s not only fine, but beautiful and ideal.
👍

On a practical note, if you are experiencing the hard winter that many of us in parts of the US are, I highly recommend flannel sheets and lots of blankets!

:winter:
 
👍

On a practical note, if you are experiencing the hard winter that many of us in parts of the US are, I highly recommend flannel sheets and lots of blankets!

:winter:
👍

Definitely! Flannel sheets feel great and keep you toasty warm along with a heavy comforter. So warm that it actually makes for a momentary act of penance when morning comes and you have to throw back the covers and step out into a chilly room!
 
👍

Definitely! Flannel sheets feel great and keep you toasty warm along with a heavy comforter. So warm that it actually makes for a momentary act of penance when morning comes and you have to throw back the covers and step out into a chilly room!
I cheat and use a space heater that I can reach out and turn on in the mornings so the room isn’t super cold by the time I get up (I also turn it on about an hour before I go to bed, then turn it off once I am in.) Our bedroom is over the garage so it usually 10-15 degrees colder than the rest of the house.

I don’t sleep naked for a few reasons - my children like to visit during the night, for one, and being cold really aggravates my nausea (I’m pregnant), so I’ve got fleece jammies on in addition to the above measures. Lately I’ve been wondering if I should wear a nightcap, too, like they did in the olden days. 😃

It’s funny because I am one of the first people who will complain about being too hot while sleeping in the summertime. 🤷
 
I cheat and use a space heater that I can reach out and turn on in the mornings so the room isn’t super cold by the time I get up (I also turn it on about an hour before I go to bed, then turn it off once I am in.) Our bedroom is over the garage so it usually 10-15 degrees colder than the rest of the house.

I don’t sleep naked for a few reasons - my children like to visit during the night, for one, and being cold really aggravates my nausea (I’m pregnant), so I’ve got fleece jammies on in addition to the above measures. Lately I’ve been wondering if I should wear a nightcap, too, like they did in the olden days. 😃

It’s funny because I am one of the first people who will complain about being too hot while sleeping in the summertime. 🤷
Very understandable. I don’t have kids yet, so that bridge will be crossed when it comes. As it is now, it can be 10 below outside and I still don’t wear anything.

Having slept naked all of my adolescent and adult life to this point, I’ve just grown so used to it that it’s really uncomfortable and constricting to wear even one or two articles of clothing to bed. On the rare occasions where that’s necessary for whatever reason, I don’t sleep nearly as well.

Some may find it unusual, but chalk it up to growing up in a sweltering south-facing bedroom with no AC in the summer and out-of-control heating in the winter!
 
Very understandable. I don’t have kids yet, so that bridge will be crossed when it comes. As it is now, it can be 10 below outside and I still don’t wear anything.

Having slept naked all of my adolescent and adult life to this point, I’ve just grown so used to it that it’s really uncomfortable and constricting to wear even one or two articles of clothing to bed. On the rare occasions where that’s necessary for whatever reason, I don’t sleep nearly as well.

Some may find it unusual, but chalk it up to growing up in a sweltering bedroom with no AC in the summer and out-of-control heating in the winter!
That is the worst! Several of my dorm rooms in college and my first apartment after graduation had building controlled heat, which meant that it was usually over 80 degrees in the dead of winter. I felt horrible cracking a window, but it was just so hot! :tanning:

I’ve known people who lived alone and preferred being naked all of the time, with a robe handy if someone rang the bell. It was just because they felt more comfortable. I’d rather have open curtains and be able to see outside, myself. 🙂
 
That is the worst! Several of my dorm rooms in college and my first apartment after graduation had building controlled heat, which meant that it was usually over 80 degrees in the dead of winter. I felt horrible cracking a window, but it was just so hot! :tanning:

I’ve known people who lived alone and preferred being naked all of the time, with a robe handy if someone rang the bell. It was just because they felt more comfortable. I’d rather have open curtains and be able to see outside, myself. 🙂
Ok, that’s definitely where I draw the line! TMI probably, but I do walk around nude in the morning between waking up and taking a shower, only because I’m already in that state. (Yes, I live alone, obviously. :D) It’s just to make coffee, pack lunch, and put dishes away, and it’s 10-15 minutes max. No chance of the doorbell ringing at that time.

I’m right there with you on preferring plenty of daylight, not to mention wanting the freedom to be able to go out during the day at a moment’s notice. Can’t imagine living like a caveman with the blinds closed all the time!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top