D
DavidFilmer
Guest
Another thread asked a question about the Church’s teaching regarding a point of eschatology.
There have been several similar threads. I have consistently replied that the Church has taught almost NOTHING about the “end-times” apart from what we can read in Scripture (but interpret at our own peril). I’m not talking about the usual death/judgement/heven/hell thing (which comprises Catholic doctrine, and is much simpler, and easily found in the Catechism), but about the “rapture” and the “reign of Jesus,” around which much mythology has evolved.
I would have asserted that the Church teaches NOTHING about end-time theology, except that I had found a Catholic Answers Tract a long time ago, The Rapture. The author of this tract is not credited.
According to this tract,
Second, there is no such thing as “THE Holy Office,” apart from the Pope himself. THE Holy Office of Peter belongs to the Pope alone. There are Vatican Offices which speak on behalf of the Holy See, but nobody except the Pope represents THE Holy Office. Other Offices are vicars only.
This tract asserts a teaching which is unfamiliar to me (and to Google, to the best of my ability to utilize it).
Can someone cite any “Holy Office” that taught this idea “in the 1940’s” to fill in the blanks left by this tract?
There have been several similar threads. I have consistently replied that the Church has taught almost NOTHING about the “end-times” apart from what we can read in Scripture (but interpret at our own peril). I’m not talking about the usual death/judgement/heven/hell thing (which comprises Catholic doctrine, and is much simpler, and easily found in the Catechism), but about the “rapture” and the “reign of Jesus,” around which much mythology has evolved.
I would have asserted that the Church teaches NOTHING about end-time theology, except that I had found a Catholic Answers Tract a long time ago, The Rapture. The author of this tract is not credited.
According to this tract,
Two things strike me as “wrong” (meaning uncharacteristically sloppy scholarship) about this assertion. First of all, it cites a DECADE, not a year or a date. I realize this is a tract, and is intended to be brief, but it would have been more brief (while being more specific) to say “in 1945” rather than “in the 1940s” (more brief by eight characters, if we count a space as a character).In the 1940s the Holy Office judged that premillennialism “cannot safely be taught,” though the Church has not dogmatically defined this issue.
Second, there is no such thing as “THE Holy Office,” apart from the Pope himself. THE Holy Office of Peter belongs to the Pope alone. There are Vatican Offices which speak on behalf of the Holy See, but nobody except the Pope represents THE Holy Office. Other Offices are vicars only.
This tract asserts a teaching which is unfamiliar to me (and to Google, to the best of my ability to utilize it).
Can someone cite any “Holy Office” that taught this idea “in the 1940’s” to fill in the blanks left by this tract?