I love SNL and consider one of the fairest shows on the air when it comes to presenting a balanced viewpoint.
Have any of you seen the episode that Sen. McCain was on a few years ago?! It was sooooooo funny, especially the skit where he sang “People” and imitated Barbra Streisand!
And there was a great skit when Charleton Heston was on–he played Moses, and as he stood giving the Ten Commandments, “Bill Clinton” stepped up and objected to “Thou shalt not commit adultery.” It was really hilarious.
They used to do tons of skits about Bill Clinton when he was president. One thing about SNL is that they don’t play favorites, although I am wondering if they’ve done any Obama skits yet?
I personally would love to see skits with “Michelle Obama” and “Cindy McCain” debating each other. I can see it now–it always starts out civil and frosty.
Ms. McCain: “Dear, surely you can see that MY husband has the only sensible plan for the economy.”
Ms. Obama: “Darling, I can see nothing of the sort. I believe you’re laboring under a delusion, for it is MY husband who has the sensible plan for the economy.”
…and so on, and eventually the polite words disintegrate into name-calling and cat-fighting, and both ladies end up mud-wrestling and ripping their business suits off and having to be dragged away by their husbands.
I think this would make a great recurring skit from now until the election.
But of course, the “Cat” will always enjoy a good “cat fight.”
I LOVED the Bob Dole skits with Norm McDonald, and it was really great when Bob Dole actually appeared on the show!
At Christmas, SNL is one of the FEW shows on network television that actually does skits about the REASON for the Season, Jesus! And they are GOOD skits! There was one where two Italian grandmothers were fighting about who had the better manger scene, and then one of them picked up the Baby Jesus to throw at the other one, and then a little girl street caroler asked, “What are they doing with Baby Jesus?” The two Italian grandmas looked at each other, embraced, and were friends again. To me, THAT is a fantastic skit (for secular television) and tells an excellent Christian gospel!
Finally, after 9/11, SNL was amazing. Patriotic, positive, All-American, supportive of the President. The skit with Will Farrell showing up at the office dressed in patriotic boxers was soooo funny (and kind of gross)!
I know that many of you don’t think the show is funny, and that’s OK. But I like it. I happen to think that the weakest years were the early years, when most of the humor gravitated around abuse of drugs and alcohol. Yuck. I think the funniest years were the Dana Carvey/Mike Meyers/Will Farrell/Chris Farley/Sheri O’ Teri/Molly Shannon years.
LOVED the “Schweaty Balls” skit! and the “Rich Meister” skits! Also Mr. Peepers. And SPROCKETS! And “Goth Talk.” and of course, “Wayne’s World.” And “Church Lady–so true!”
And IMO, the funniest skit ever on SNL is definitely Cowbell! I destroyed a concert at my kids’ school a few years back. I was a guest pianist, and when I finished my piece, I sat with the kids. One of the ensemble numbers was a Latin piece, and I whispered to the kid next to me, “Needs more cowbell.” Well, that kid cracked up and passed the comment down, who cracked up and passed it down, and so on until within a few minutes, everyone in the auditorium was cracking up. The poor musicians! I wasn’t a Catholic at the time or I would have gone to Confession over that one! I don’t think anyone ever figured out that the frumpy dumpy piano mom started the fiasco at the concert!