B
bernadetteoc
Guest
A little background, my husband and I have had a very challenging marriage. We attended Retrouvoiulle after only 3 years of marriage. We’ve now made it to 7 but it’s been a rough rode. We have four children in that short time. While trying to practice NFP I conceived two of them when charting and trying not to. It seems that even if it’s several days before my ovulation I still seem to get pregnant. I just gave birth 5 months ago to my fourth daughter. It was a very dark time for us. My husband drank a lot, he always went to bed far later than me, there was no closeness between us. We both attend mass every Sunday and are in another prayer group but something was just different about him. A few months later when I was looking for pictures on his hard drive I found out what it was. I found files and files of porn. I have never been so devastated in my life. My husband basically told me, we could never be intitmate again because NFP didn’t work and I wouldn’t use condoms and we couldn’t have any more children. He said he looked at it because partly the alcohol convinced him it wasn’t that bad and because we grew apart. Now honestly we’ve never had a real closeness in marriage because of fear of getting pregnant. I felt so betrayed being that he’s the only man I’ve ever been with and was ready to give up. I went to confession and the Priest told me that in extreme cases that he is allowed to tell me to pray about it with my husband and that birth control would be okay. I argued saying that I wouldn’t commit a mortal sin and couldn’t receive communion of our Lord. He said that my marriage falling apart because of no intimacy between my husband and I was also very serious for the children involved. I had no idea what to do, so since then my husband and I have tried using condoms. Our marriage is night and day to what it was before. We are getting to know each other in that way, we’re much closer and he has stopped drinking etc. I am nursing my baby right now so I have no idea when I might be fertile again. I guess here is my question after all of that… what now? I don’t want to risk my soul for my marriage. I also know that he won’t be intimate with NFP because the times I’ve used it I’ve gotten pregnant. I love God so much and fear that I’m disappointing him and I love my husband and children and want to keep my family together. Please don’t judge, I’ve done enough of that on myself lately. Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom.
Prayer (Vespers)