So, how do I keep my wife from killing me?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dsmantz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dsmantz

Guest
It seems to me that there seems to be quite a few “bible nuts” like me here, who own more than a few translations. My wife said “I’m cutting you off from Bibles”, due to the extensive translations I own. But, it just doesn’t make sense that if one was to delve heavily in the background behind the words, and the differences that are out there, to own just one. Actually, I envy those who have that ONE bible that they’ve used for 30 years.

At the moment, I own:
NAB
RSV-CE
NRSV
KJV (authorized and 1611 edition with Apocrypha)
NKJV
NIV
NASB
ASV
ESV
HCSB
DRB
NLT

I’ve got more translations that I can’t remember at the moment, as well as a 1961 Confraternity Bible on the way from Amazon (4 bucks plus shipping… Based on the description, I should be rather happy).

So, what should I say to keep her at bay and understand the need for several translations for the serious bible student.
 
Pick a good study bible.

It will let you know if there is some question as to the correct translation involved.

If you still doubt, check out sites like biblegateway.com (though - alas - they sadly lack the deuteros) they have about every translation possible.

Also there are things called parallel bibles that have three or four different translations side by side. These can be especially fun if one of the translations is an old King James Bible. Oh MY Goodness - it’s really good for some serious head scratching.
 
I suggest you learn Greek or Latin and use those Bible versions. Then you don’t have to worry about the best translation because you can read the original words for yourself. 😉

But if you don’t have time to learn new languages I suggest getting the Faith Database or a Kindle to keep yourself organized.
 
It seems to me that there seems to be quite a few “bible nuts” like me here, who own more than a few translations. My wife said “I’m cutting you off from Bibles”, due to the extensive translations I own. But, it just doesn’t make sense that if one was to delve heavily in the background behind the words, and the differences that are out there, to own just one. Actually, I envy those who have that ONE bible that they’ve used for 30 years.

At the moment, I own:
NAB
RSV-CE
NRSV
KJV (authorized and 1611 edition with Apocrypha)
NKJV
NIV
NASB
ASV
ESV
HCSB
DRB
NLT

I’ve got more translations that I can’t remember at the moment, as well as a 1961 Confraternity Bible on the way from Amazon (4 bucks plus shipping… Based on the description, I should be rather happy).

So, what should I say to keep her at bay and understand the need for several translations for the serious bible student.
Try biblos.com. you have all the different bible translations there+ Bible dictionarys+Greek and hebrew+ a comentry on each scripture. etc
Just keep your 1 KJV with the Apocrypha and maybe another that you feel Important
 
Just memorise them all. Saves space; cheaper than a Kindle. 🙂
 
I own several study bibles, and have gone through them all. I’m in the process of learning biblical Greek and Hebrew, but no where close to where I need to be for a stand alone reading. I use the websites, and refuse to use a Kindle, iPad, or anything similar. In my line of work, it’s just asking for destruction. A book can hold up better.

I just need to hold her off a few more weeks, then she’ll have a new vehicle and everything will be a-okay.
 
Lent is approaching. Why not give the money you’re needlessly paying for more Bibles to charity? Bibles For Believers puts Bibles in the hands of the poor who can’t afford one.
 
It seems to me that there seems to be quite a few “bible nuts” like me here, who own more than a few translations. My wife said “I’m cutting you off from Bibles”, due to the extensive translations I own. But, it just doesn’t make sense that if one was to delve heavily in the background behind the words, and the differences that are out there, to own just one. Actually, I envy those who have that ONE bible that they’ve used for 30 years.

At the moment, I own:
NAB
RSV-CE
NRSV
KJV (authorized and 1611 edition with Apocrypha)
NKJV
NIV
NASB
ASV
ESV
HCSB
DRB
NLT

I’ve got more translations that I can’t remember at the moment, as well as a 1961 Confraternity Bible on the way from Amazon (4 bucks plus shipping… Based on the description, I should be rather happy).

So, what should I say to keep her at bay and understand the need for several translations for the serious bible student.
Oh, dsmantz,

I thought she had been threatening homicide, from the title of this thread.

I’m single, with around seven different translations of the Holy Bible.
Looking at your list of a dozen different translations, I’d say your wife is right. That looks like plenty enough, to me.

God loves you,
Don
 
Lent is approaching. Why not give the money you’re needlessly paying for more Bibles to charity? Bibles For Believers puts Bibles in the hands of the poor who can’t afford one.
Good idea. I’ve gotten rid of quite a bit over the years, but for some reason still feel compelled to keep several different versions on my shelf. Many of the bibles I own were gifts from inmates being released after serving their time, who could now “get a new one”. Some I hold on to for sentimental reasons, but most for comparisons of Scripture.

Anyone know of a website to donate bibles to? I’ll give up the ones that don’t mean that much and were purely for study purposes.
 
Pick a good study bible.

It will let you know if there is some question as to the correct translation involved.

If you still doubt, check out sites like biblegateway.com (though - alas - they sadly lack the deuteros) they have about every translation possible.

Also there are things called parallel bibles that have three or four different translations side by side. These can be especially fun if one of the translations is an old King James Bible. Oh MY Goodness - it’s really good for some serious head scratching.
Biblegateway com has the deuteros. When their home page comes up, click on preferences. One of these is whether you want the deuterocannonical versions. If you choose this option, the Douay-Rheims version will be available on their site.
 
It seems to me that there seems to be quite a few “bible nuts” like me here, who own more than a few translations. My wife said “I’m cutting you off from Bibles”, due to the extensive translations I own. But, it just doesn’t make sense that if one was to delve heavily in the background behind the words, and the differences that are out there, to own just one. Actually, I envy those who have that ONE bible that they’ve used for 30 years.

At the moment, I own:
NAB
RSV-CE
NRSV
KJV (authorized and 1611 edition with Apocrypha)
NKJV
NIV
NASB
ASV
ESV
HCSB
DRB
NLT

I’ve got more translations that I can’t remember at the moment, as well as a 1961 Confraternity Bible on the way from Amazon (4 bucks plus shipping… Based on the description, I should be rather happy).

So, what should I say to keep her at bay and understand the need for several translations for the serious bible student.
you can save your self from being murdered and save four bucks plus tax by finding them online for free
 
you can save your self from being murdered and save four bucks plus tax by finding them online for free
Reading a Bible online is not the same as being able to touch the pages and feel the paper between your fingers. Can one have too many books or Bibles … I think not ! I suggest that you explain that this is your only vice … ie: you do not drink, smoke or run around, you study the Bible. Then perhaps your wife may give you some slack. Good luck.
 
Reading a Bible online is not the same as being able to touch the pages and feel the paper between your fingers. Can one have too many books or Bibles … I think not ! I suggest that you explain that this is your only vice … ie: you do not drink, smoke or run around, you study the Bible. Then perhaps your wife may give you some slack. Good luck.
Hey 1believer1 dude
Too much of anything is a bad thing, even bible collecting when it may cause problems with his spouse whom he should be giving much of his attention to as he should be living out what scripture teaches instead of obsessing over various bible translations like he is a bible scholar. I doubt he needs all those translation in paper form just to, as you say, “touch the pages and feel the paper between your fingers”. When reading the bible that is fine but when comparing texts I think he will be okay without that wonderful paper “feeling” you seem to be aroused by.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top