So Much for Church in the UK

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
gilliam said:
“Though Muslims make up only 3 percent of the British population, more people attend Friday prayers than go to Sunday church, a recent survey found.” Via the Christian Science Monitor.

“Being religious at all, however, is unusual in European life. Though Muslims make up only 3 percent of the British population, more people attend Friday prayers than go to Sunday church, a recent survey found.”

What survey?
By whom?
where is it published?
What were the questions?

The CSM has a wonderful reputation for making these sorts of comments without ever revealing the source. And as Owen Franken, the author of this piece is a photographer, excuse me if I’m a little sceptical about his credentials in this area.

The CSM is a heck of a lot more credible than some of the outlandish comments and sources you use to try and slander Americans and George W. Bush.

Norwich said:
“Being religious at all, however, is unusual in European life. Though Muslims make up only 3 percent of the British population, more people attend Friday prayers than go to Sunday church, a recent survey found.”

What survey?
By whom?
where is it published?
What were the questions?

The CSM has a wonderful reputation for making these sorts of comments without ever revealing the source. And as Owen Franken, the author of this piece is a photographer, excuse me if I’m a little sceptical about his credentials in this area.

40.png
dumspirospero:
The CSM is a heck of a lot more credible than some of the outlandish comments and sources you use to try and slander Americans and George W. Bush.
Somewhat touchy aren’t we?

:blessyou:

Norwich said:

What survey?
By whom?
where is it published?
What were the questions?

Chances are, this one:
statistics.gov.uk/CCI/nugget.asp?ID=984&Pos=1&ColRank=1&Rank=374

The results of the question we need don’t seem to be online.

Summary is here:
statistics.gov.uk/downloads/theme_compendia/for2004/FocusonReligion.pdf

40.png
gilliam:
Chances are, this one:
statistics.gov.uk/CCI/nugget.asp?ID=984&Pos=1&ColRank=1&Rank=374

The results of the question we need don’t seem to be online.
Those are some of the questions but, I can’t find any reference to a comparison between Friday prayers and Sunday Church attendance.

This tables interesting though, it shows the number of people claiming christianity as their religion has increased from the Census in 2001 at 77.7% to 79.9% in the LFS survey of 2003, whereas the Muslim population has decreased by 0.2% over the same period.

Seems to lend the lie to all those who claim that Europe and the UK are becoming “Islamicised” so to speak.

It is also interesting to note the drop from 16.1% to 13.8% for those in the “Other Religion” class. Wonder where they went?

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/images/charts/984a.gif

40.png
Norwich:
Those are some of the questions but, I can’t find any reference to a comparison between Friday prayers and Sunday Church attendance.

This tables interesting though, it shows the number of people claiming christianity as their religion has increased from the Census in 2001 at 77.7% to 79.9% in the LFS survey of 2003, whereas the Muslim population has decreased by 0.2% over the same period.

Seems to lend the lie to all those who claim that Europe and the UK are becoming “Islamicised” so to speak.

It is also interesting to note the drop from 16.1% to 13.8% for those in the “Other Religion” class. Wonder where they went?

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/images/charts/984a.gif
Looks to me like your missing people became Christian. Possibly because of 9/11 fears?

By the way, the question is there, it is just the results of the question that are not on the net for some reason.

40.png
gilliam:
Looks to me like your missing people became Christian. Possibly because of 9/11 fears?

By the way, the question is there, it is just the results of the question that are not on the net for some reason.
No, the question is not there. The question would be “are you a regulay church goer” or something similar. That question has never been asked in any Census documents. The othe assumption of course is that ALL moslems go to Friday prayer and that most Christians do not go to church. Whilst the latter may be true the former certainly is not, therefore any second guessing from a survey such as these becomes purely fictional, as seems the original assumption that more people attend Friday prayers than attend Sunday services.

I have this time to defend Norwich, in addition the origins of christian science monitor are very anti-catholics, are masonics, the enquiries many times failed, and well Its´true the developing of islam, because there are many radical people but the results put by Norwich are very clear, the great challenge is the secularization so in England, Spain or even USA and the bad sheperds, greetings

So What?

More people wash their cars on Sunday mornings than go to mass.

The briefest exposure to parish life in the UK would be enough to prompt one to suggest it would be better if even more of them stayed away.

Its a largely moribund, exhausted experience, part of the general decline of institutional religon throughout decadent Europe. Its a dead corner of history.

I am fortunate to live in one of the most ‘spiritually’ vibrant cities of England…the reason for this is that the majority population are Muslim, poor and relatively sceptical about western material values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back