So... What are you doing for your Lenten Devotion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NotWorthy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NotWorthy

Guest
I’m always looking for new ways for Lenten Devotions. I’m interested in some of the things that you guys are doing, so I thought I’d start a thread. I’m hoping this isn’t the millionth thread on this topic, but if it is, do I win a prize? 😉

Anyway, I’ve always loved the Psalms, but knew there was so much more to them than I realize. So, I’m going to study the Psalms, using the Navarre Study Bible, and going over 3 Psalms a day - one in the morning, one around lunch, and one in the evening. I figure that this will get me through the entire Psalter by Easter, if I add a psalm here or there.

So, what are you guys thinking of?
 
I will pray the 14 Stations of the Cross.
Wonderful!!!

What I’ve found in the past is that, after Easter, I realize that there is no reason to discontinue my Lenten Devotions just because Lent happens to be over. That’s why I say the rosary daily and I attend daily Mass as often as possible - these all began as Lenten Devotions.
 
Wonderful!!!

What I’ve found in the past is that, after Easter, I realize that there is no reason to discontinue my Lenten Devotions just because Lent happens to be over. That’s why I say the rosary daily and I attend daily Mass as often as possible - these all began as Lenten Devotions.
That is very true. Daily Rosary and Daily mass are very wonderful.
 
Hmmm…firstly I’m trying my best to cut out the “junk” in my life. Also, try to pray the rosary or chaplet of divine mercy every day, and just be more religious.

-Jeanne
 
I am hoping to make it to mass daily… but I have been doing that recently anyway as I am on a business trip, don’t know anyone here and have nothing to do 😛

That said, I just bought the ‘Shorter Morning and Evening Prayer’ which I intend to utilise to the full.
 

  1. *]The Heroic Minute – which I learned about on another thread; basically it means when the alarm goes off, GET UP. This will be very hard for me.
    *]Pray daily for the soul and well being of my ex-husband. (This will also be very hard for me . . . 🙂 )
    *]Stations of the Cross every Friday.
    *]At least one week day Mass each week.
    *]Attend a local diocesan retreat.
    *]Learn the Our Father and the Hail Mary in Latin – and the Suscipe by St. Ignatius Loyola if there is time!
 
Oh, these are all wonderful devotions. How does one learn the Our Father or Hail Mary in Latin?

Also, the heroic minute. that is interesting as well (I’m dealing with a type of narcolepsy that makes it VERY hard to get up!)

I am on my SWIM across the Tiber river to Rome – gives me a chilll thinking about it. It’s like being a runner on the home stretch (my journey to the CC started in 1985!).

I have a vow I made to God in 1985 – has to do with bad habits and being a physically fit vessel for the Holy Sprit. I am going to revow my 1985 vow and pray, adore, go to Mass, more prayer, and lots more prayer to keep this vow.

I love the Psalms idea with the Navarre Bible also.

We should all pray for each other as we travel this journey with our devotions – and it is ALL for the Glory of Christ!

AMEN!!🙂
 
I like the Stations of the Cross! 🙂
Oh, these are all wonderful devotions. How does one learn the Our Father or Hail Mary in Latin?
You can learn it online! 🙂
catholic.org/clife/prayers/prayer.php?s=55
Also, the heroic minute. that is interesting as well (I’m dealing with a type of narcolepsy that makes it VERY hard to get up!)
I am on my SWIM across the Tiber river to Rome – gives me a chilll thinking about it. It’s like being a runner on the home stretch (my journey to the CC started in 1985!).
I have a vow I made to God in 1985 – has to do with bad habits and being a physically fit vessel for the Holy Sprit. I am going to revow my 1985 vow and pray, adore, go to Mass, more prayer, and lots more prayer to keep this vow.
I love the Psalms idea with the Navarre Bible also.
We should all pray for each other as we travel this journey with our devotions – and it is ALL for the Glory of Christ!
that’s so wonderful that you’re entering the Church!! 🙂

God bless you!!
 
Oh, I like the psalm idea - I heard that the original reason for the rosary was that the monks prayed a psalm on each bead. Just a thought!
Here are my plans:
  1. pray the rosary daily. I can pray while I drive or while I am on the treadmill if I have to!
  2. Take an NFP class (long overdue!)
  3. Attend stations of the cross each Friday
  4. The local parishes are having soup and a lecture every wednesday. I want to go to at least one of those.
  5. 40 days for life. I would be doing the prayer vigil even if it weren’t lent 🤷
    I think this is a good start.
PS - does anyone know why the abstinence from meat still allows for fish? Just curious.
 
An entry on my blog that will officially go on at midnight:
We are now in another Lenten Season and many are talking about what they are giving up. I prefer to talk about what I will be adding instead of subtracting. For me, I will hopefully be doing some the following:

  1. *]Increasing my prayer life. Currently, I have been limiting it to Lauds, Vespers, and Compline in the Liturgy of the Hours plus a few other prays. I plan of adding the Office Readings, and a number of additional prayers each day. What yet I have not selected, but it will be a different set of prayers, along with the Rosary each day.
    *]Make at least two holy hours a week. I have been remiss on this and need to start fulfilling my promise to do this.
    *]Going to confession more frequently, not when it is necessary.
    *]Attend Weekday Mass at least once a week.
    *]Look into the various indulgences and avail myself of them.
    *]Increase my spiritual reading. I have a backlog of both that I have and want to get. Lent is a good time to decrease that backlog.
    These are just the top six on my list. There are others, but these are a good start.

  1. Also, for me, the Easter Cycle started for me 3 Sundays ago. For clarification, see:http://peregrinus.stblogs.com/2009/...t-of-the-extraordinary-form-of-the-mass-lent/

    Interesting Aspect of the Extraordinary Form of the Mass: Lent
 
Oh, these are all wonderful devotions. How does one learn the Our Father or Hail Mary in Latin?

Sonitus Sanctus: Latin Mass (etc.)

Also, the heroic minute. that is interesting as well (I’m dealing with a type of narcolepsy that makes it VERY hard to get up!)

St. Josemaria Escriva wrote: “The heroic minute. It is the time fixed for getting up. Without hesitation: a supernatural reflection and… up! The heroic minute: here you have a mortification that strengthens your will and does no harm to your body.” He said that virtue has to be orderly and that waking up at a fixed time enables a person to fulfill a Christian plan of life involving prayers, study and work.

I am on my SWIM across the Tiber river to Rome – gives me a chilll thinking about it. It’s like being a runner on the home stretch (my journey to the CC started in 1985!).

I have a vow I made to God in 1985 – has to do with bad habits and being a physically fit vessel for the Holy Sprit. I am going to revow my 1985 vow and pray, adore, go to Mass, more prayer, and lots more prayer to keep this vow.

I love the Psalms idea with the Navarre Bible also.

We should all pray for each other as we travel this journey with our devotions – and it is ALL for the Glory of Christ!

AMEN!!🙂
I have learned a great deal from others who were willing to share – hope these sources help you. I think my prayer for the morning’s “heroic minute” will be “Suscipe, Domine,” from St. Ignatius Loyola’s “Suscipe, Domine, universam meam libertatem. Accipe memoriam, intellectum, atque voluntatem omnem. Quidquid habeo vel possideo mihi largitus es; id tibi totum restituo, ac tuae prorsus voluntati trado gubernandum. Amorem tui solum cum gratia tua mihi dones, et dives sum satis, hec aliud quidquam ultra posco.” . . .now if I can only learn how to pronounce all of that . . . in English it is “Receive, O Lord, all my liberty. Take my memory, my understanding, and my entire will. Whatsoever I have or possess Thou hast bestowed upon me; I give it all back to Thee and surrender it wholly to be governed by Thy Will. Give me love for Thee alone along with Thy grace, and I am rich enough and ask for nothing more.”

Enjoy your swim, my friend! The journey is as much a blessing as the destination.
 
Hey Notworthy. Your post on this is the 999,999th one on this topic. 🙂

I like to combine both giving up things and also doing additional things if that makes any sense.

Going to Stations every Friday, (adding Masses is great if you can). Maybe adding times of service for others. Adding prayers to day/night. Maybe going to Confession more often (can’t hurt and keeps us spirtually focused).

Also, I would like to add more days without things I enjoy, can be food, drink, TV (I have favorite shows), ect. In other words, fasting of some type.

Would also like to add some type of way of giving alms more effectively.

Thanks for letting me think though ideas before Lent and Peace.
 
An entry on my blog that will officially go on at midnight:
Also, for me, the Easter Cycle started for me three Sundays ago. For clarification, see:http://peregrinus.stblogs.com/2009/...t-of-the-extraordinary-form-of-the-mass-lent/

Interesting Aspect of the Extraordinary Form of the Mass: Lent
Like you, I started the Easter Cycle three Sundays ago with the beginning of the Season of Septuagesima. (Oh, go ahead, look it up everyone! 😉 ) Shrovetide (yes, you can look that one up, too – I’m old . . . ) began for me last Thursday, with confession on Jeudi Gras (“Fat Thursday”). Tonight I celebrated Mardi Gras (“Fat Tuesday”) by drinking wine and eating pancakes with a friend.

Make good use of these 40 days – tell all of those you meet, “pardon my Lenten smile.” 😃
 
I had pancakes today, too, in celebration of Shrove Tuesday. 🙂

I had no idea there was such a thing as “Shrovetide” - I would love to learn more about it. 🙂
 
Well, I am not in full agreement with your link, but, like you, I started the Easter Cycle three Sundays ago with the beginning of the Season of Septuagesima. (Oh, go ahead, look it up everyone! 😉 ) Shrovetide (yes, you can look that one up, too – I’m old . . . ) began for me last Thursday, with confession on Jeudi Gras (“Fat Thursday”). Tonight I celebrated Mardi Gras (“Fat Tuesday”) by drinking wine and eating pancakes with a friend.

Make good use of these 40 days – tell all of those you meet, “pardon my Lenten smile.” 😃
Are you talking about the two entry links in this post or the other ones on my blog? :confused:
 
I had pancakes today, too, in celebration of Shrove Tuesday. 🙂

I had no idea there was such a thing as “Shrovetide” - I would love to learn more about it. 🙂
“Shrovetide” means “confession tide.” It comes from the word “shrive,” to absolve, to grant or receive absolution. When I was young (and the dinosaurs roamed the earth) it usually meant three days before Ash Wednesday, but back in the Middle Ages (somewhat before my youth 😉 ) it included the whole week before Lent. In the 9th century, Theodolphus, Bishop of Orleans, wrote “In the week immediately before Lent, everone shall go to his confessor and confess his deeds and the confessor shall so shrive him that he may then bear what (penance) he is to do.” Some religious communities (and me) begin the season on Shrove Thursday (Jeudi gras). Shrove days are feast days, not fast days . . .

Tomorrow, however, we fast . . .
 
Are you talking about the two entry links in this post or the other ones on my blog? :confused:
I changed my post. After reading it over, I’m not sure what I was referencing – although it surely made good sense at the time I typed it. Must have been the pancakes; couldn’t have been the wine . . . :o
 
I changed my post. After reading it over, I’m not sure what I was referencing – although it surely made good sense at the time I typed it. Must have been the pancakes; couldn’t have been the wine . . . :o
I was wondering, I do post some of my stronger opinions there (especially when it comes to Materialism, Relativism, and Liberalism). I am also a strong advocate for Distributism, and algae Biofuels on my blog. I am also hoping to start my website in the next couple of months.
 
Read the NT again. I did that last year and was great. Takes 1-2 hours every day.

Along with several diet commitments.

I like the stations of the cross.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top