J
Jennifer_G
Guest
Well, this tops off a sloppy, sloppy Ash Wednesday…
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Traditional Catholics may have a field day with this one!
(and I’ll probably wind up having nightmares about liturgical abuses again). Besides a little bit in the morning, which is completely unrelated…
I come home from work and my parents (mind you, one is a former Catholic, the other baptized Catholic, raised Lutheran) had dinner ready, which I told them beforehand that I was going to church. After Mass, I find it it’s chicken. Then my mom wants to give me Klondike icecream for dessert, and after telling her that we aren’t supposed to have snacks between meals, she says “Well, who makes these rules up?”. My dad said the same thing about 15 minutes before when talking about the chicken. He goes, “I bet God is laughing right now. I know because I was an altar boy!”.
Now about the Mass…
Apparently, either they must’ve forgotten about the lectors, ushers and at least one EMHC, since the priest (an elderly 87 year old priest) had to select impromptu volunteers. It started off when there was no lector. Fine. When it was time for the presentation of the gifts, there was this awkward silence (and on the poor priest’s face as he’s preparing the altar). Then he asks for the host, then realizes that there wasn’t a collection. So, after that’s done, the fun begins.
After the consecration, he realizes they’re one EMHC short. So, he asks for another volunteer (whether or not they were an EMHC, I don’t know… they didn’t look familar). This is the priest that gives the consecrated hosts to the EMHCs and people in the sanctuary before saying “This is the Lamb of God…”. Of course, some consumed the Host beforehand. That’s where I started grimacing. Now, maybe because this priest is very old, and there was no deacon present (granted, the msgr was there with the ashes), he had one of the EMHC clean up. They just stacked the bowls (ciborium?) quickly, and tried to put everything (including the cloth that could contain crumbs from the Body of Christ) into the bowls and whisked them to the sacristy. Now, why the other priest didn’t concelebrate, I don’t know. At least I didn’t see any glassware this time…
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Traditional Catholics may have a field day with this one!
I come home from work and my parents (mind you, one is a former Catholic, the other baptized Catholic, raised Lutheran) had dinner ready, which I told them beforehand that I was going to church. After Mass, I find it it’s chicken. Then my mom wants to give me Klondike icecream for dessert, and after telling her that we aren’t supposed to have snacks between meals, she says “Well, who makes these rules up?”. My dad said the same thing about 15 minutes before when talking about the chicken. He goes, “I bet God is laughing right now. I know because I was an altar boy!”.
Now about the Mass…
Apparently, either they must’ve forgotten about the lectors, ushers and at least one EMHC, since the priest (an elderly 87 year old priest) had to select impromptu volunteers. It started off when there was no lector. Fine. When it was time for the presentation of the gifts, there was this awkward silence (and on the poor priest’s face as he’s preparing the altar). Then he asks for the host, then realizes that there wasn’t a collection. So, after that’s done, the fun begins.