So what would happen if the Pope changed dogma?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nocoastlayman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How can it not happen? What if we got a truly evil but charismatic pope? People are fallible and anything could happen though I am sure God wouldn’t let that happen.
Defining a dogma is protected by the Holy Spirit.

Tis an impossibility like a square circle to define a dogma that was contrary to the truth.

People maybe fallible but Popes are infallible when doing such.
 
Popes are men too and even with infallibility , it doesn’t mean mistakes won’t happen. All I know is that at the point a pope did this, he would cease to be the pope.
Yes actually it does. APope can not define what is contrary to truth as being truth. Anymore than he can make a square circle. It is not that a Pope would cease to be Pope but that he would be* protected* from defining error as truth. He cannot define God as being not a Trinity. He is protected from doing such.
 
Yes actually it does. APope can not define what is contrary to truth as being truth. Anymore than he can make a square circle. It is not that a Pope would cease to be Pope but that he would be* protected* from defining error as truth. He cannot define God as being not a Trinity. He is protected from doing such.
Can one Pope say that torture is morally allowable, and another say it is not morally allowable?
Can one Pope say that a Jew cannot be saved, and another say that a Jew can be saved?
 
Can one Pope say that torture is morally allowable, and another say it is not morally allowable?
Theoretically yes a Pope could make personal mistake in judging a question. But that is not concerning defining a dogma.
 
Theoretically yes a Pope could make personal mistake in judging a question. But that is not concerning defining a dogma.
Can one Pope write a papal bull saying torture is allowed, and another saying no.
Can one pope make an official statement at an ecumenical council that Jews cannot be saved, and another say that a Jew can be saved.
 
Lets not keep asking the same questions…🙂

What I noted is regarding defining infallible dogmas.
Well, let’s not dodge the issue. If the question is not answered properly then perhaps it needs to be restated to insure that a proper response is given. Here’s what you said:
Theoretically yes a Pope could make personal mistake in judging a question. But that is not concerning defining a dogma.
It is not only a question of a personal mistake OR a dogmatic definition. There are magisterial statements which fall in between and require the assent of Catholics, even though they may not be infallible dogmas.
Have there been personal mistakes made by Popes in any of the official papal encyclicals written throughout the history of the Catholic Church, or are Catholics required to take these official encyclicals as teachings to which they must adhere? Are Catholics required to assent to the teachings given by Catholic Popes at Ecumenical Councils or can they simply write these teachings off as personal mistakes? I thought that Catholics are required to assent to magisterial documents of the Catholic Church.
I don’t think that you can legitimately write it off as just a personal mistake of a Pope if he says in an official capacity that Jews can or cannot be saved.
 
But I guess the point is that the actual Church hasn’t fallen. But I do agree with your point that at some point something could happen. Popes are men too and even with infallibility , it doesn’t mean mistakes won’t happen. All I know is that at the point a pope did this, he would cease to be the pope.
It has NEVER happened in 2,000 years, so I think its very safe to TRUST the Holy Spirit!. God Bless, Memaw
 
Some theologians (Father Sullivan) say that the teaching on women priests is not infallible dogma and therefore can be changed.
Then he would be disputing JP II who ***definitively ***declared no female ordination. Just because someone doesn’t like the answer does not mean it has not indeed, been answered correctly. And can we leave the “renegades” out of the equation, just this one time?
Can one Pope say that torture is morally allowable, and another say it is not morally allowable?
Popes, historically, have at times promoted certain things as personal theological opinion and not within the scope of the papal office.
 
No for it could not happen. One ought not be concerned about what cannot happen.
I’ve never quite understood this, no matter how many theological opinions I read. While I believe without dispute in the indefectibility of the Church, how does the Holy Spirit protect Her while never denying free will to any man? If it were the deliberate intent of man to declare dogmatic error (and you likewise believe schism to be impossible) then how would it be prevented? I’m thinking here of the “smoke of Satan within the Church” that has been admitted now by more than one pope. The closest answer I got to my question was written by Michael Davies who quoted the Constitution of the Church and likewise said it was impossible, yet I did not understand his thesis.
 
First of all I mean this in all seriousness. Lets say the Pope did change Dogma by doing something like saying that Abortion is okay or that women can be priests. What would happen to the church? Would the Pope in that case be kicked out? Would the laity be responsible to kick him out? Do we form a “new” church and leave the official but now heretical church? I know this probably will never happen but have any theologians ever speculated on what if this happened. Also how does this effect infallibility if the Pope does something not a part of Dogma?
What would happen if an unstoppable force hit an immovable object?
 
What would happen if an unstoppable force hit an immovable object?
It depends on how big the unstoppable force was. If it was a mosquito, and the immovable object was a cement block wall, probably not too much would happen to the wall, but the mosquito would be stopped and so it would no longer be unstoppable.
 
I’ve never quite understood this, no matter how many theological opinions I read. While I believe without dispute in the indefectibility of the Church, how does the Holy Spirit protect Her while never denying free will to any man?
One would have to ask God…but one practical way perhaps could be…“well Pope Xanthos …you think you are going to try to define that God is four persons …but the night before…you will be standing before me for your particular judgment”…
 
It depends on how big the unstoppable force was. If it was a mosquito, and the immovable object was a cement block wall, probably not too much would happen to the wall, but the mosquito would be stopped and so it would no longer be unstoppable.
The force is unstoppable, that is that nothing is capable of stopping it and the immovable object is unable to be moved by any force.
 
The force is unstoppable, that is that nothing is capable of stopping it and the immovable object is unable to be moved by any force.
I’d like to see an example of such. I’d also like to see an example of a square circle.
 
It is not only a question of a personal mistake OR a dogmatic definition. There are magisterial statements which fall in between and require the assent of Catholics, even though they may not be infallible dogmas.
A magisterial statement which is not intended as doctrine or dogma does not fall under the notion of infallibility.

Could a Pope make a statement, not intended as doctrine or dogma, which is in error? Asked and answered: yes.
Have there been personal mistakes made by Popes in any of the official papal encyclicals written throughout the history of the Catholic Church
Not every word in a papal document is a statement of doctrine or dogma. Therefore, by definition, not every word in a papal document is protected by infallibility.
, or are Catholics required to take these official encyclicals as teachings to which they must adhere?
Now you’ve moved on to a different question. Earlier, you were asking about assent to doctrine and dogma. Now, you’re asking about assent to assertions that are neither doctrinal nor dogmatic. Yes, there are teachings which fall outside these categories. Yes, Catholics are called to obey the teachings found in encyclicals, even if they’re not, strictly speaking, ex cathedra statements.
Are Catholics required to assent to the teachings given by Catholic Popes at Ecumenical Councils or can they simply write these teachings off as personal mistakes? I thought that Catholics are required to assent to magisterial documents of the Catholic Church.
Correct.

Even if the statements aren’t intended as ‘irreformable’, Catholics are to assent to them.
I don’t think that you can legitimately write it off as just a personal mistake of a Pope if he says in an official capacity that Jews can or cannot be saved.
It would be important to look at the statement in context, in order to discern what exactly was being said. 🤷
 
I’d like to see an example of such. I’d also like to see an example of a square circle.
Now you finally understand, that is why the question of “what would happen if the Pope changed dogma?” is silly.
 
With God all things are possible.
Surely we should remain open-minded to the possibility of change?
That phrase is not meant in that way.

Only possible things for God. God cannot for example - not be God. Etc.

Open minded that truth would not be truth?

No that would not be the way.

“The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid.” ~ GK. Chesterton

chesterton.org/open-mind/
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top