So You Say You Support the Troops?

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

Russ has an essay, you must read. Here are a few excerpts

It’s so easy to say you support the troops, regardless of which side you come down on in the issue of the War in Iraq itself. Yeah, you can send care packages and put yellow ribbon magnets on your car to make you feel all warm and fuzzy that you’re doing your own small part. You can do as I do and use forums such as this one to expound the viewpoint of the folks we send in harm’s way, hoping that someway, somehow, someone who can make a difference may read your rant and actually do that something that makes a difference.

But right now, folks, we have a rare opportunity, a seldom-held power for ordinary citizens, to actually do something for the troops that will bring them more comfort than any supportive letters or boxes of cookies and candy ever possibly could. You see, right now we have the ability to provide them with comfort of mind, to lift a mental and emotional burden that they all carry with them when they enter any theater of combat. We hold in our collective hands the ability to grant them assurance that should the worst befall them, we, their grateful nation, will provide for their loved ones in a manner that will approximate what they would have provided in the normal course of their lives.
<…>
So you say you support the troops? Then as soon as you finish reading this, start hammering that keyboard and let your two senators and your congressman know that you expect no less than their full support for early passage of the HEROES Act. To a person, they all swear they support the troops, regardless of party affiliation or individual positions on the war. Let them know, their future electoral efforts will, in your mind, be dependent upon their actions on behalf of those troops and those families who have given that “last full measure of devotion,” to their nation.

Want a place to start? For a list of sites with congressional contacts, go here:
Contacting Congress

Get off your butts, America and show you really do support the troops.

Russ Vaughn

But hey that’s only a few excerpts, you must read the whole thing

Hat Tip

Now that’s something concrete…
and positive…
and NEEDED!!!

I will be more than happy to demand my congressmen and senators support the hero act, although I do have a few questions about it. According to this artical the death gratuity will only be increased for combat deaths, well all of Irag is a combat zone, so does that mean that every service member who has or will die their qualify? What about the personel in the support units, many of those deaths have been caused by accidents, will their families recieve these new benefits?

What about making things better for the service members returning home wounded and disabled for the rest of their lives? They are now facing a new battle field, getting the promised benefits from the Dept. Of Veterans Affairs. I know first hand what that is like, the delay tacticts they employ is enough to drive you crazy.
I fully support taking care of the families of our fallen heros, but for the love of our precious Lord, we’ve got to make sure that we also take care of our wounded warriors, to many of them are once again falling through the cracks.
Linda H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back