Sola Scriptura Defined

  • Thread starter Thread starter Randy_Carson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. When was the first reference to “sola scriptura”?
 
Hi All
I have a question. If you had two Church’s, one of them threw out the Bible and only taught tradition, the other Church threw out all tradition and only taught from the Bible, which Church would look more like Christianity is supposed to look like?
Depends upon what “tradition” you’re talking about.

If you mean the Catholic Church, then you could burn every bible on the planet today and you would still have what Christianity is supposed to look like in the traditions of the Catholic Church.

(Though I think you might loose a verse or two since I don’t think “every single” verse of the Bible is preached in the 3 year cycle, just 90+% of the words of the bible would be proclaimed to the Church.)

Chuck
 
In the writings of John Calvin, during the mid-1500s, when he developed his “TULIP” philosophy.
I am going to need a reference. Catholics usually say it was Martin Luther, but that is not true.

So, how can I verify that Calvin is the one who said it? When or where did he say it?

Thanks
 
They don’t. What you claim are “new” versions are actually as old as Protestantism itself. You simply don’t know much about Protestantism or you would not make these false accusations. In any debate people will be forced to refine their position under pressure from the other side, and reach more deeply into their tradition for more profound arguments. Certainly one can see this in Catholic apologetics all the time.

Edwin
Ah! I’m home again! Contarini calling Catholics ignorant. I love it.

peace
 
In the writings of John Calvin, during the mid-1500s, when he developed his “TULIP” philosophy.
As I was searching to find a Sola Scriptura quote by Calvin, I came upon something interesting that may be the source of Catholic/Protestant misunderstanding.

I came across a site that talked about Solo Scripture. This word fits the definition Catholics use.

Sola Scriptura simply means the Bible, God’s inspired and inerrant word is the ultimate and final authority.
 
I came across a site that talked about Solo Scripture. This word fits the definition Catholics use.

.
I guess Catholics don’t know Latin, so they refer to Sola Scriptura as Solo Scripture.

peace
 
I am going to need a reference. Catholics usually say it was Martin Luther, but that is not true.

So, how can I verify that Calvin is the one who said it? When or where did he say it?

Thanks
I would try the Institutes, first.
 
I would try the Institutes, first.
I think the person who makes the claim should find the source. 🙂

Also, It seems the person(s) who believe in it ought to know what they believe.

So, If Protestants say Sola Scriptura is not a claim that the Bible contains all knowledge.

Catholics should accept that and quit telling us we believe something that we don’t believe. I ought to know better what it is I believe than than someone who has never even met me.
 
I think the person who makes the claim should find the source. 🙂
I only mean that I know it’s in the Institutes of Calvin, but I don’t know whether that’s the first time he mentions it - there will be a footnote indicating where he first came up with it, if that isn’t it. I’m not going to go digging through it right this minute though - you’re the one who wants to know. 🙂

Martin Luther didn’t believe in “Sola Scriptura” - he never even heard of it.
Also, It seems the person(s) who believe in it ought to know what they believe.
So, If Protestants say Sola Scriptura is not a claim that the Bible contains all knowledge.
Catholics should accept that and quit telling us we believe something that we don’t believe. I ought to know better what it is I believe than than someone who has never even met me.
No one thinks that Protestants think the Bible contains all knowledge. However, I sometimes wonder whether they think Jesus was reading out of the New Testament when He delivered the Sermon on the Mount, because they don’t seem to realize that everything in the Bible came originally from an oral tradition - the Sermon on the Mount wasn’t written down for several decades - it was passed on by oral tradition for the first 30-40 years of the Church. 😉
 
I guess Catholics don’t know Latin, so they refer to Sola Scriptura as Solo Scripture.

peace
There is no Latin word called Solo. It’s Solum or Sola. I have taken Latin lately via Rosetta Stone.

The Latin word for one or alone is the following:

Solum, incomitatus, unus, singularis, and solitas.
 
I think the person who makes the claim should find the source. 🙂

Also, It seems the person(s) who believe in it ought to know what they believe.

So, If Protestants say Sola Scriptura is not a claim that the Bible contains all knowledge.

Catholics should accept that and quit telling us we believe something that we don’t believe. I ought to know better what it is I believe than than someone who has never even met me.
Ginger,

You are setting up a straw man.

What Catholics say that Sola Scriptura contains “all” knowledge?

All knowledge? What a masterful book that would be; where can I buy it.

Protestants and Catholics both may not know the definition of what they believe. For example, you personally could be confusing some of your current beliefs with your former beliefs.

What does meeting you got to do with knowing what you believe?

Peace
 
I’m not going to go digging through it right this minute though - you’re the one who wants to know. 🙂
I agree. 🙂 I don’t want to spend all that time looking for it, either. But you’re the one who sais he said it. 😉
…because they don’t seem to realize that everything in the Bible came originally from an oral tradition…
No, it came from straight from Jesus.
 
According to this is no different clear definition of Sola Scriptura. I’m getting different interpretations of it from different Protestants… talk about confusion…
 
There is no Latin word called Solo. It’s Solum or Sola. I have taken Latin lately via Rosetta Stone.

The Latin word for one or alone is the following:

Solum, incomitatus, unus, singularis, and solitas.
Not totally true.

The Gloria of the Mass: "…tu solus altissimus…

The vocabulary options are as follows:

solum, -i, n. ground, soil
solus, -a, -um, alone, sole
solum, adv. only, alone

peace
 
I agree. 🙂 I don’t want to spend all that time looking for it, either. But you’re the one who sais he said it. 😉

No, it came from straight from Jesus.
Via an oral tradition.

Jesus wasn’t talking in their ears when they were writing the Scriptures. They were writing down what they had memorized and sung throughout the years. The Holy Spirit was protecting them from writing down anything incorrectly, but they weren’t receiving locutions from on high - they were just writing down part of the content of the Oral Tradition.
 
Ginger,

You are setting up a straw man.

What Catholics say that Sola Scriptura contains “all” knowledge?
Protestants do not refer to Sola Scripture as containing all knowledge.What Protestants mean by Scripture alone is that God’s written Word is the final authority.

So, if what you say disagrees with Scripture we will alway take Scripture over your opinion.
 
According to this is no different clear definition of Sola Scriptura. I’m getting different interpretations of it from different Protestants… talk about confusion…
List the posts. I’d like to see.
 
Protestants do not refer to Sola Scripture as containing all knowledge.What Protestants mean by Scripture alone is that God’s written Word is the final authority.

So, if what you say disagrees with Scripture we will alway take Scripture over your opinion.
As you rightly should.

The problem comes when two people read the same Scriptures and come up with different interpretations. That’s when we need to look to the Oral Tradition, to see what the author originally intended to mean.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top