I am not Catholic, and I wouldn’t say I am in the process of converting (although I would like to). I’m only 16 at the moment, so I live under “their rules”.
We are members of the Church of Christ (the ones that use instruments), a part of the Stone-Campbell Restoration Movement. “No book but the Bible” is a part of their motto. I don’t agree with this, so my parents are not happy with it.
I would ask them “please quote the bible verse that says to use ‘no book but the bible’”.
And another, “where does the bible say all christian doctrine and practice must be supported or found in the bible?”
Another question for them, maybe at another time, would be how do they know the bible is inspired since there is no inspired index of the books of the bible.
The truth of the matter is the first two above are man-made traditions which contradict God’s holy Word as found in the gospel as preached by the apostles and passed on by their successor bishops. 1520 marks the beginning of the currrent sola scriptura & sola fide movement which has had the effect of splintering Christianity into literally thousands of man-made denominations.
Without fully realizing it, more than likely, your family is not really using the authority of the bible but the authority of their preacher or pastor who is teaching them to follow a tradition of men which says to use the bible alone.
And finally, you can point out that in order to be saved we must hear the gospel as preached by the apostles who learned directly from Jesus. If we believe this gospel and are baptized we will be saved. If we reject it we will be condemned (Mt 16:15-16). These are the words of Jesus himself. If we say we have faith in Jesus we must believe everything he says, not pick & choose.
Then ask your family what book, chapter & verses of the bible claim to be a summary of this gospel preached by the apostles which we must believe in order to be saved. Answer: there are no bible verses claiming to summarize this gospel. Therefore the ONLY way to know this gospel is by listening to the Church Jesus founded, “the pillar and bulwark of truth” (1Tim 3:15).
The creed, the sacraments, commandments and prayer are what the apostles preached and taught. Their successor bishops under the leadership of the popes have transmitted this gospel from generation to generation for 2,000 years. These four “pillars” of the gospel can be found in the Catholic Church’s Roman Catechism (1566) and the new Cathechism (1993).
That is the purpose of catechisms, to teach doctrine. The bible was not written to teach doctrine, it is a narrative of salvation history, i.e., how God has intervened in history to save man.
Which is why the founders of modern day Protestantism immediately contradicted themselves when they said “the bible alone & faith alone”, and then turned around and wrote catechisms to teach their new man-made religions.
Joe