J
JonathanKinsman
Guest
Your quote: “Protestants would agree. However, the Word of God is also the scriptures. see Hebrews 4:12 for example.”
St Paul’s letter to the Hebrews addresses Torah example on the Sabbath rest. The four Gospels and Acts were not in existence when St Paul wrote his Epistles. Chapter 4 alludes to Numbers 14:22-23; Deut. 1:35;the 95th Psalm; Genesis and (in your quote) Wisdom and Isaiah.
I don’t disagree with you main reply (which is Catholic teaching and Tradition) however, I don’t know where you’re going with that last "However,…[and citation].!!
Please explain.
Inspired/inerrancy muddle: these are two distinct word with two distinct meanings and theological implications. I can be inspired to do something but errant in execution. Inspiration does not equal inerrancy. This is what you are implying. If not, then explain what you mean by these two words.
St Paul and other inspired authors in the NT paraphrase more than they directly quote from the Septuagint. Whenever “Scriptures” are mentioned they are Jewish, not NT. Many Protestants can’t seem to keep this fact straight when trying to change centuries of interpretation and belief. Again, look to the changes Luther made, the JWs made, the Mormons made. Look to the changes prior to the last century in mainstream Protestant bibles. Their available through most metropolitan libraries. I borrowed some 19th reprints from the Orange County library when I was doing research of the Presidential Oath. The KJV is rife with textual and thus, doctrinal, errors. It was the priest Erasmus who gave the committee their manuscripts. The irony of it is that the NT manuscript was a Vulgate variant written by recusant French.
Source: OUP, A Companion to the Bible.
As to the comments re my father-in-law (a non practicing Jew while alive): they beg the question. Of course many Jews would dismiss Jesus or consider him one of many prophets from Galilee. The irony is that Protestants base their heresies on the support of post-Pauline and post-Catholic canon documents.
St Paul’s letter to the Hebrews addresses Torah example on the Sabbath rest. The four Gospels and Acts were not in existence when St Paul wrote his Epistles. Chapter 4 alludes to Numbers 14:22-23; Deut. 1:35;the 95th Psalm; Genesis and (in your quote) Wisdom and Isaiah.
I don’t disagree with you main reply (which is Catholic teaching and Tradition) however, I don’t know where you’re going with that last "However,…[and citation].!!
Please explain.
Inspired/inerrancy muddle: these are two distinct word with two distinct meanings and theological implications. I can be inspired to do something but errant in execution. Inspiration does not equal inerrancy. This is what you are implying. If not, then explain what you mean by these two words.
St Paul and other inspired authors in the NT paraphrase more than they directly quote from the Septuagint. Whenever “Scriptures” are mentioned they are Jewish, not NT. Many Protestants can’t seem to keep this fact straight when trying to change centuries of interpretation and belief. Again, look to the changes Luther made, the JWs made, the Mormons made. Look to the changes prior to the last century in mainstream Protestant bibles. Their available through most metropolitan libraries. I borrowed some 19th reprints from the Orange County library when I was doing research of the Presidential Oath. The KJV is rife with textual and thus, doctrinal, errors. It was the priest Erasmus who gave the committee their manuscripts. The irony of it is that the NT manuscript was a Vulgate variant written by recusant French.
Source: OUP, A Companion to the Bible.
As to the comments re my father-in-law (a non practicing Jew while alive): they beg the question. Of course many Jews would dismiss Jesus or consider him one of many prophets from Galilee. The irony is that Protestants base their heresies on the support of post-Pauline and post-Catholic canon documents.