T
tequilamac
Guest
I know I’ve uses this example before, but when is a person actually married before God? Is it when they exchange vows before a designated authority? Is it when they consumate their union?[Originally Posted by mikeledes
If we are not to go beyond what is written, then masturbation, abortion, and cloning should be allowed because there is no passage in the Bible that explictly deal with these issues.
[COLOR=“green”]In regards to masturbation that violates the lust principle in Matthew 5:28; abortion violates the command not to murder; cloning, i’m not sure at this point. I need to study this further.
I would say when you say your vows. What do you think?
Does a marriage have to be witnessed by anyone? Please point to the passages in the Bible that specifically address these questions.
I’m not aware of any and i don’t think it really matters. That’s why i believe when you make a vow before God, you better keep it. See Ecclesiastes 5:4
Don’t spend too much time looking, because you won’t find any passages that specifically address these questions. What will we do if we are not supposed to go beyond what is written?
This is why we need to have the "words of Christ richly dwell in us" As we grow in our understanding of scripture the greater our ability to discern God’s will. Psalm 119 is a great place to look at how the Word can help us.
God Bless,
Michael
You forgot about embryonic stem cell research. There is nothing in the Bible on this either.
Doing this would violate the commandment not to murder
Therefore sola scripturists would have us make no moral decision on this issue either. In fact, when you get right down to it, sola scripturists would give science a free hand in life and death.
Huh? Why do you say this? I adhere to sola scriptura but i don’t agree with your assement here. In fact there are many protestants that are deeply involved in matters of life and death issue. I know for me, the scripture helps to guide me on these matters.
Where does scripture say that cloning, masturbation, embryonic stem cell research, and abortion violate the commandments you listed? It doesn’t, does it. It does not state that one shall not commit embryonic stem cell research as it violates the commandment thou shalt not kill. You have arrived at your “doctrine” that it is wrong through your own interpretation of the Bible and using common sense, yet you deny the Catholic Church has the right to develop the same doctrine because as you say it is not in scripture. Well, either is yours. I do not understand why you get to do it and the Catholic Church does not. Where is your authority that is more infallible than the Church’s authority to develop the doctrine that cloning is wrong?