J
john_aurelius
Guest
Chapter 1 of the WCF is Of the Holy Scripture,Hello John,
Thank you for posting.
I started the thread taken it back even further than interpretation of scripture.
I wanted to know, using SS as a doctrine, WHAT is scripture?
In other words, for any given book, who authored it, when was it authored, who determined it was God’s word, when was that determination made, and by whose authority was that determination made?
My premise was basically that all Catholics believe God, through the Holy Spirit, was the author of all Sacred Scripture.
With that as a given, I then asked (using my own “invented” phrase) by what “delivery mechanism” were the books of the OT and NT canon given to man. In other words, other than the Ten Commandments (if one believes in the literal interpretation of the bible that God personally wrote the commandments onto two tablets and gave them to Moses), how were the books of the bible given to man by God?
Most SS arguments start with what I, personally, thought were too many assumptions by both sides that only led to disagreement before one even got into how the bible came into being. That occurred LONG before discussing if the bible was sufficient for man’s salvatation and was anything else needed.
I, pretty much, wanted protestants to tell me how their bible came to be . . . literally.
I think it has made for some interesting discussion because as the primary (initially) defender of SS said in one of his latest posts (he seems to be seeing the flaws in SS), protestants consider X number of books to be in the bible simply because “a man in church told them so”.
Well, that was not sufficient for my purpose, and thus - this thread.
for your interest I’m quoting chapter 5 concerning the authorship of Scripture being the H.S.
"We may be moved and induced by the testimony of the Church to an high and reverend esteem of the holy scripture, and the heavenliness of the matter, the efficacy of the doctrine, the majesty of the style, the consent of all the parts, thescope of the whole (which is to give glory to God), the full discovery it makes of the only was of man’s salvation, the many other incomparable excellencies, and the entire perfection thereof, are arguments whereby it doth abundantly evidence itself to be the word of God; yet notwithstanding our full persuasion and assurance of the infalliable truth, and divine authority thereof, is from the inward work of the Holy Spirit, bearing witness by and with the word in our hearts.
To which it gives the proof texts: 1 John 2:20, 27; John 16:13,14; 1 Cor 2:10-12; Isa. 59:21