Some help with The Psalms

  • Thread starter Thread starter ronh4
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ronh4

Guest
My wife and I have been taking a bible class on the Psalms, marvelous prayers and songs, I would hartily recommend the class to everyone. Ours was from Jeff Cavins.

This week we studied the Penitential Psalms, they are 6, 32, 38, 51, 102, 150 and 143. Highly recommended during Lent.

Go to your bible and please read them and study them. Maybe that will help you to seek out the sacrament of confession, which is good for all of us.

Before reading the Penitential Psalms, spend some time with psalms 1, 2 and 3.
 
I took an 8 week Bible course by Jeff Cavin’s. I hope to take the 20 week course in the fall. Mr. Cavin’s certainly has a wonderful teaching ministry.
 
I myself am beginning another Jeff Cavins Great Adventure studies this fall on the psalms here in Kansas.

After completing the OT overview, Matthew, Revelations, Acts, James, 1 Cor studies by Cavins and Tim Gray I am a firm believer that Catholics can become bible savvy!

Thanks for the encouragement on the psalms. I have never studied them aside from mass. AT first glance they appear simplistic for a bible study, but it is to the child like that the Holy Spirit moves most freely.
 
I also highly recommend Jeff Cavins’ “Great Adventure” series.

I’m currently in week 20 of the 24 week “Bible Timeline” series, which goes over the 27 narrative books - Genesis, Exodus, Samuel, Kings, Daniel, etc ending with Luke and Acts - and touches on the other books as supplemental to those 27 books. Jeff puts the books together and explains the whole story of the Bible, rather than individual unrelated books in the way which I had always viewed the Bible.

Definitely worth the money if you can get a group together. They actually flew two reps from Minnesota to Georgia for our parish and trained parish leaders and group facilitators for us.

+1 for Jeff Cavins Great Adventure series.

-Tim-
 
It is good to read that others of you are also taking bible classes.

Something every Catholic should do
 
Thanks for the information in this thread.

I recently started a study of the psalms which I did not complete, for some reason.

One book I found that is at a pretty general level of readership is called Christ in the Psalms by Episcopal priest Patrick Henry Reardon. These are not exhaustive treatments of the psalms, but are more like a 2-page homily about each psalm.

Another resource for studying the psalms, if you lean in this direction, is to use The Jewish Study Bible (Oxford).

Yes, I think Scott Hahn and Jeff Cavins offer some very high quality scripture studies, along with Tim Gray and others.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top